Please sign in to post.

Geneva to Chamonix

Hello all!

In a few weeks, I'll be staying In Geneva with my family. We are going to spend a day in Chamonix to see Mont Blanc.

We plan to take the Easybus to get there. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it need to be reserved in advance? We are hoping to wait until the last possible minute to get good weather.

Thank you!

Posted by
1025 posts

The best weather is generally in the morning, and it often clouds up by midday or early afternoon. Pesky mountain weather! Because of this, if you plan to take the cable car to the Aguille du Midi, you will need to leave as early as possible. If there is a front moving in, you won't be able to see anything. Check the attached website for times and other info. I see that they are recommending reservations for the cable car. https://www.chamonix.com/aiguille-du-midi-step-into-the-void,80,en.html

I don't have any info on the Easybus schedule.

Posted by
11247 posts

You will need a reservation for the shuttle. We took the Alpybus on that route and they were very professional.

Posted by
32171 posts

jacob,

There are a number of Shuttle services that provide transportation from Geneva to Chamonix. They typically pick-up either from the airport or the main rail station. I believe I used Chamonix Valley Transfers on my last trip, and I'd highly recommend them, as they were very professional and dropped me right at the door to my hotel.

You will have to reserve seats on the Shuttles in both directions. They normally use large vans which have a limited capacity, so they need to know how many passengers they will have on each trip.

If you were planning to take the Mont Blanc Panoramic cable car across to Pointe Helbronner, I believe it's closed for maintenance this summer.

One other caveat to mention is that the Aguille du Midi is at an elevation of about 12,605 ft / 3842 M. If any in your party have altitude-related medical issues, you'll need to keep that in mind. If anyone starts to have difficulties, you'll have to head back to the valley ASAP.