Please sign in to post.

General Plan for France 2023

Hello again,
Thank you to the members who responded to my previous posts. I have been reconfiguring my itinerary.
I'm looking for some guidance on the order of the stops and some suggestions on transportation to and between. I know we will be renting a car for part of the time but I would not like to rent for the entire time outside of Paris. We have 15 night in France at the end of June. I'd like to do 5 nights in Paris, 5 nights around Beaune, 3 night Lake Annecy and 2 night Chamonix OR 5 night Paris and a combination of the other 3 locations. I decided to eliminate French Riviera this trip. We went to Ireland this year and although we had a great time and saw a lot of the country -this trip I want to build in some relaxation. Again, thank you and Happy New Year!

Posted by
6544 posts

For others' reference, here's your previous thread about this trip, including my suggestion that after Paris you take a train to Dijon and get the car there. Beaune is a smaller city than Dijon and a popular (on this forum) base for exploring Burgundy. Its many tasting rooms allow you to try lots of wines without having to drive, and the Hospices de Beaune is a wonderful early Renaissance building complex with a remarkable triptych painting as a bonus.

From there you could drive south to Annency and Chamonix. I suggest going north to south because your trip is in June and you may want warmer weather in the mountains. Use Auto Europe to look for car rental options, including where to drop the car off when you're done with it. And use the d bahn website to look for a train that takes you back to Paris, or even straight to CDG. With the help of a map, see if you can find a city or town that has a car rental office for the company you use plus a good train connection to Paris or CDG. Or you could take the car all the way back to CDG.

I strongly suggest getting back to CDG, or at least Paris, the night before your flight home. You don't want to be stressing about trains or long drives on the day of the flight. You want to be waking up that day in Paris or an airport hotel with plenty of time to make the flight.

Posted by
7326 posts

Hi Carolyn, if your would like some relaxation, I recommend the Imperial Palace for a place to stay at Annecy. I reserved their cheapest room in 2016, and we had a wonderful time there! It’s a 5-minute peaceful stroll along the lake promenade over to the main downtown busy pedestrian street. There’s park benches along the way. We rented a small boat & bicycles at the place just left of the hotel as you face the lake. We didn’t eat breakfast at the hotel - just picked up pastries & fruit at the nearby bakery & small market.

https://www.hotel-imperial-palace.com/