Please sign in to post.

Game of Thrones

I would normally never think of watching tv while on vacation, but I poorly planned my vacation during the last two episodes of Game of Thrones, and I don’t want to have to avoid all social media for 11 days so that the ending isn’t spoiled for me. Is there any way to watch Game of Thrones in English in France? Or even with subtitles if not in English. I have HBO GO, but it won’t work out of the US.

Posted by
492 posts

You can try subscribing to OCS. OCS broadcasts Game of Thrones in France. They have a mobile app, and I think even streaming service for browser viewing on a computer and such.

If you were able to get a subscription and watch it, you might luck out on the language part - it is broadcast in English, with French subtitles. You’d also luck out on timing as I believe it is initially released in France early Monday mornings (Sunday evenings for us in the US).

I don’t know what hoops you’d have to jump through to be able to subscribe to OCS but best of luck!

Edit - quick look at OCS.fr shows they do offer a free one month trial so time it well and you can get your final 2 shows in that window. Digging any further on their site requires accessing it from a French IP so that’s as much as I can see - can’t look at the sign up process from here. So it may be something you’ll wanna try when there.

Posted by
9422 posts

My post from your other thread...

I think there’s a work-around if you don’t live in the UK (VPN?). But tech-savvy minds on this forum would have to explain.

You could go online to MeetUp.com and see if anyone’s having a viewing party. Or, check onlne for pubs that might show it. Or Google Game of Thrones Viewing Party London. Could be a fun way to hang out with locals.

Posted by
492 posts

So I did just set my VPN here to France, to go through the OCS.fr signup process (what's funny is even with my VPN going, when I tried to translate the page in to English it wouldn't show me the offers. Thankfully I speak some French so when I restarted the process without a page translation I was able to do it). It looks simple enough. They have a couple different subscription options depending on how one wants to access the service - mobile device only (tablet, phone, laptop), cast to TV (like if you have a chromecast or appletv), through a mobile provider or existing TV service. All come with that free 1 month offer though. All it does is ask for your name/email and to create a password, then pay with your credit card. It's the credit card part I didn't try, but so long as you don't run in to any problems having a US-issue card that might work for ya. I don't know what the service's interface is like after that, but maybe a polite request to hotel staff will get them to guide you through it? hehe.

And again they should broadcast in English, with French subtitles, simulcast with the US original airing. :)

Posted by
786 posts

I'll be on vacation in Scotland the next two Sundays. I'll survive not seeing it till I'm back home.

Posted by
33 posts

Edit - quick look at OCS.fr shows they do offer a free one month trial so time it well and you can get your final 2 shows in that window. Digging any further on their site requires accessing it from a French IP so that’s as much as I can see - can’t look at the sign up process from here. So it may be something you’ll wanna try when there.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out!

Posted by
33 posts

I'll be on vacation in Scotland the next two Sundays. I'll survive not seeing it till I'm back home.

Yes, I'm sure I'll "survive" also. But I personally consider this to be an exceptional case. I never watch tv when I'm on vacation. But this is different to me. You are welcome to your opinion.

Posted by
195 posts

Pam, this is an exceptional case, because it's an exceptional show. Only those who have seen it from the beginning could understand. It would be like leaving Les Miz in the middle of the second act.

Posted by
492 posts

I also entirely understand your desire to see the last two episodes as they're released, and not wait weeks! GoT is not just a show - it's a cultural event! And you're not talking about just random episodes during random seasons - you're talking about the series finale!

Posted by
786 posts

pamcarey245: Not criticizing, truly. I’m just resigned that I’ll be out of the country and won’t be able to watch Sunday’s battle to end all battles on my phone. I’m content to wait until I’m home and watch it on my 65-inch 4K TV. I am hoping to avoid spoilers, of course.

Once, when I was working nights, I taped the NCAA championship game and told everyone around me not to tell me anything. BTW, I worked in a newsroom where it’s people’s job to know what’s happening now. But everyone avoided spoiling it for me. Near the end of the night, the editorial page editor came in, sat down nearby and, to no one in particular, loudly stated, “So, Indiana won,” having no idea I’d been trying to avoid knowing the outcome.

I sagged like an animal taking a bullet and tried to pretend I hadn’t heard him. I never watched the game I’d recorded. To this day, 20-plus year’s later, Mike, the editorial guy, delights in relating that story.

Posted by
1443 posts

The Night King and his army of the dead is on the march, and you're worried about watching a flickering image on a glowing rectangle? How much dragon glass can you fit into your backpack?

Posted by
33 posts

Pam, this is an exceptional case, because it's an exceptional show. Only those who have seen it from the beginning could understand. It would be like leaving Les Miz in the middle of the second act.

Exactly!

Posted by
33 posts

I also entirely understand your desire to see the last two episodes as they're released, and not wait weeks! GoT is not just a show - it's a cultural event! And you're not talking about just random episodes during random seasons - you're talking about the series finale!

Thank you! I'm glad you get it!

Posted by
101 posts

I feel your pain, Pam. We're leaving tomorrow on a Rick Steves 14 day Ireland tour. I'm going to do my best to avoid social media until we get home. Good luck to you!! Hope you have a great trip and nothing gets spoiled for you.

Posted by
33 posts

I feel your pain, Pam. We're leaving tomorrow on a Rick Steves 14 day Ireland tour. I'm going to do my best to avoid social media until we get home. Good luck to you!! Hope you have a great trip and nothing gets spoiled for you.

Same to you!

Posted by
10 posts

I'm going to miss the last two episodes. Even though I've been watching it diligently, I have no problem waiting. After all, it took them two years to finish this season. But, I get to binge watch the last two episodes.

And frankly, I'll be in France so won't exactly be sitting around rueing it.

Posted by
5 posts

I will be in France for the final episode and figured I would watch it on HBO GO until I saw this post. I didn't realize it would not work outside of US. Did you find a workable solution?

Posted by
82 posts

I am in the same situation and my research indicates the following (mind you I have never actually done this myself but have spoken with family members who have).

Assuming you have a subscription to HBO GO, you would need to download a reputable VPN to the device from which you will be streaming. Most VPNs are subscription based but oftentimes offer 30 day money back guarantees so conceivably you could use it once and then cancel after the final episode (of course that is up to you). You access HBO GO through your VPN in France and it should present no problems.

VPNs are totally legit and you can easily google more about them.

Posted by
26 posts

I just got home from Paris and on our last night we stopped in the Wide Open Spaces bar at 184 Rue Saint-Jacques, right near the Pantheon. They had a sign advertising their GOT watch parties. They're a Green Bay Packer bar so I'm sure it will be in English or at least with subtitles. I think they have more info on their Facebook page.