Please sign in to post.

French Train Tickets

I need to book train tickets from Amsterdam to Paris and Paris to Nice in November. I did this several years ago via the Rick Steves website. I searched the site and the comments but I cannot seem to find them. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Martin Burns

Posted by
8194 posts

SNCF is a lot more aggravating to use. I use it but often switch to trainline.eu. which is well designed gives you an immediate look at price differences by time and class and provides easy to manage tickets by email. I have found that it is occasionally cheaper; this makes no sense, but it is at least not much more expensive than SNCF.

Posted by
200 posts

I went from Amsterdam to Paris on April 5, 2023. I bought my ticket December 23, 2022. It was 48E on Thalys. I believe the earlier you make the purchase, the cheaper the ticket.

Posted by
1 posts

We are looking for AMS to Paris for December 16th. It looks like Thays doesn't have any trains scheduled for then?? Am I looking at it correctly?

Posted by
6559 posts

You are too soon to book- they say they have a 4 month booking window, which can be reduced to 3 months- which is clearly exactly what is happening now, with bookings open to 9 December. So check back to the website in a week or so's time.

Posted by
134 posts

Many thanks for the advice! It is very helpful to have such a body of knowledge to consult!

Posted by
4567 posts

You need to check with the true expert, the Man in Seat 61.

Rick doesn't actually sell tickets, he sends you to Rail Europe which most people would actually steer you away from.

Posted by
8194 posts

Thalys is definitely cheaper the earlier you go. Our first trip ParisAMsterdam 15 or 20 years ago we bought last minute and it was about 4 times as much as what we paid on our next trip booked months in advance.