Please sign in to post.

French Riviera OR French Riviera & Provence

Currently in my 20s and embarking on a European adventure this summer, I'm thrilled to share my upcoming travel plans. A friend, flying in from the US, will join me on my trip in southern France in late May. Initially focused on exploring the stunning Riviera, recent inspiration from the enchanting Provence region has led me to consider merging the two experiences. We're both first-timers to this region and would greatly appreciate any insights or feedback on the proposed itineraries. Here are the options:

OPTION 1: Riviera

• Nice (5 days, 5 nights): Arrival on Day 1 with an afternoon settling in and exploring the city. The next four days will be dedicated to discovering gems like Villefranche Sur Mer, Saint Jean Cap Ferrat, Menton, Eze, or Cannes. Depart for Antibes on Day 6 in the morning.
  • Antibes/Saint Paul de Vence (2 days, 2 nights): Day 1 involves exploring the Picasso museum and the city. On Day 2, take a train to Monaco for the F1 race. Depart on Day 3 in the morning for St. Tropez via a 30-minute train and a 1-hour ferry.
  • St. Tropez (2 days, 2 nights): Explore the town and beach clubs, with the friend departing on Day 3.\

OPTION 2: Provence & Riviera

• Uzés (3 days, 3 nights): Pick up the friend from the train station in the afternoon and explore the town on Day 1. Day 2 entails exploring Luberon towns and markets, and on Day 3, embark on a road trip to Arles, Nimes, Pont du Gard, Aix en Provence, or Cassis. In the morning on Day 4, head to Vaucluse.
  • Vaucluse area (considering Gigondas or Orange region with a farm stay) (2 days, 2 nights): Explore towns on Day 1, take a wine tour on Day 2, and head to Avignon on Day 3 to drop off the rental car.
  • Nice (4 days, 4 nights): Take a 3-hour train from Avignon in the afternoon after dropping off the car. Upon arrival on Day 1, explore Nice, head to Monaco for the F1 race on Day 2, and spend the next two days exploring spots like Villefranche Sur Mer, Saint Jean Cap Ferrat, Menton, Eze, or Cannes.
Posted by
16 posts

As for what I’m looking for, I’d love a mix of seeing a larger city while also exploring some quieter towns. I am active, a big foodie, love wine, and love to visit both bigger cities and quieter small towns. I’m sure we’ll see some crowds wherever we go, but I’m hoping with diversifying where we’re staying we can get a mix of the larger city Nice and some smaller towns.

I think it’d be great to diversify the vacation, but my bigger concern is is that too much travel or doable in our time frame? Doing both Provence and the Riviera would add some driving and a 3 hour train within our 9 day trip. Is this too much?

If we should stick to the Riviera, will it be extremely crowded wherever we go? And how do these coastal towns really differ?

Thank you!

Posted by
678 posts

It is possible to do both, but I don't think it is too productive to try to all of western Provence in five days (and outside, technically Uzes isn't Provence). I'd possibly narrow down to seeing just the northern portion or the the southwestern portion and not try to stretch from Aix to Uzes to GIgondas to Arles to Cassis. We love the southern Rhone area, and it is less touristy, but if you are not into wine then you might be able to trim that branch and save it for another trip (and add Chateauneuf du Pape).

The F1 in Monaco will create some crowds in that direction, as will the days that overlap with the Cannes Film Festival. Your first itinerary doesn't really make sense as Cannes is just beyond Antibes, and Monaco is east of Nice (swap them). Really, you could stay in Nice and take the train or bus to any of the places listed and then head to Saint Tropez. However, Saint Tropez and the famed beaches of Pampelonne are best visited with a car. The ferry is definitely nice, but getting from the old town to the beach area requires taking the bus. You'll get a lot more it, and be able to visit great rose domaines and small villages, with a car.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you all for the feedback!

Would this be a better itinerary to get the most of the village markets and to do more doing rather than more driving (compared to my last itinerary)? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!:

2 nights in Aix:

Day 1 (Saturday): friend arrives to Aix station after flight, explore and sleep in Aix (think I may pick up car at this point for ease and early departure for Luberon on Day 3)

Day 2 (Sunday): explore Aix and the Sunday flower market, sleep in Aix

3 nights in Gordes:

Day 3 (Monday): depart in the morning to Pont du Gard and explore Nimes, maybe grab lunch/snack at the all-day market, head to Gordes when we're ready and spend the night in Gordes

Day 4 (Tuesday): explore Gordes and the market, drive through Menerbes, Lacoste, Bonnieux, Roussillon (stop as we feel), sleep in Gordes

Day 5 (Wednesday): Abbay Notre-Dame in morning, Beaucastle tasting or CdP group tour, sleep in Gordes

4 nights in Nice:

Day 6 (Thursday): Drop off car at Aix and take 3 hr train to Nice, explore Nice, sleep in Nice

Day 7 (Friday): day in Monaco, sleep in Nice

Day 8 (Saturday): Villefranche-sur-Mer and Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat day trip, sleep in Nice

Day 9 (Sunday): Menton and Eze OR Antibes OR just stay in Nice for day, sleep in Nice

Day 10 (Monday): friend travels home

Posted by
639 posts

travelingtulip,
Your newest itinerary sounds great...doable and enjoyable!

Posted by
515 posts

The French Riviera is a beautiful coastal region with weather like Southern California. There are lovely beach sites in Nice, Menton, and Antibes in particular. The area attracts foreign high rollers from royalty to celebrities.

But most of this fame has happened over the last century, so there is not the rich historical remnants like most of France.

Other areas like Dordogne, Alsace, or Normandy are teaming with castles, half timbered homes, and ancient cathedrals. These other areas have a more developed cuisine as well.

Places like Avignon, Nimes, Aix en Provence have better food, more history, culture and events. They are easily reached by train. And allow you to experience more of France and less sand and waves.

Posted by
8 posts

But most of this fame has happened over the last century, so there is not the rich historical remnants like most of France.

While I see where you are coming from, as the area's "golden age" was really during the belle epoque, but there is much more to the Riviera.

The riviera is dotted with excellent roman ruins (Trophee, Pardigon Villa, Cimiez...)

There is also an abundance of historic palaces( Grimaldi Palace (Cagnes s/Mer), the medieval Grimaud castle, Chateau de Rocquebrune, Chateau de Saint Agnes, Chateau de Vallauris, Picasso Museum antibes...)

Don't just make comments like that based on your impressions, while understandable, they can be misleading.