Please sign in to post.

French Riviera March 2024

My wife, daughter and I will be traveling to Nice at the end of March, 2024. Our family was in Provence this summer, so we can skip that area for this trip. We're flying into Nice, and I would love suggestions for a 10 day itinerary. We're not big into museums, but we love architecture, small towns, B&Bs and nature. I love driving around France, so we'll have a small car. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
15663 posts

I was there in March 2019. I started in Marseille (my only gateway airport) on the 12th for 2N, then Nice for 5N, then by car for 3N in Saint-Paul-de-Vence, dropped the car at the Nice airport on March 22. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had sunny weather and temps mostly in the high 60s and low 70s everyday. I did drive from Nice to Menton it wasn't nearly as scenic as I'd hoped. Traffic was light and I had no trouble finding parking in Menton and then in the villages around Saint-Paul. Nice is very walkable and the tram can be a time saver - or a godsend at the end of a long day. Getting around the coastal areas is easy by train - they are frequent, comfortable, and inexpensive. Just watch out for pickpockets at the stations!! During my 5 days in Nice, I daytripped to Antibes, Menton, and Villefranche-sur-Mer (my favorite). I skipped - but you may like - Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and Cap-Ferrat, I opted for museums over nature. On another visit I went to Monaco to see what I'd missed.

I would only use the car for a few days for areas inland - there are lots of choices for charming small towns and scenic views, with or without hiking. I stayed in tiny walled St-Paul and day tripped. St-Paul was quiet and charming in the evenings and early mornings. I was out from around 9-10 am to 5-6 pm when the tourist hordes were there.

Posted by
11367 posts

Our last trip to Nice was for two weeks and we did a lot of day trips. Our very favorite ones are Antibes and St-Jean Cap Ferrat. They are charming with good dining choices.
We also enjoyed Villefranche sur Mer when there were no cruise ships in port there. Avoid if a cruise ship is there. Such a shame letting those big ships ruin a lovely town experience.
We used buses for Cap Ferrat which follow the edge of the sea., beautiful place. . You need use a train for charming Antibes.
St-Paul de Vence is filled with art galleries now. Nearby Vence is worth a visit.

Posted by
7028 posts

If you like nature, you could spend 2-3 days in the Verdon gorge region. March can be cold but usually not freezing. Snowfall is unusual. Lots of cute villages out there too: Moustiers, Tourtour, Bargemon... to name but a few
However the mountains closer to Nice (Mercantour) will be snowed in, most likely.

Posted by
698 posts

I'd keep it flexible, so that you can take advantage of the weather. It can be unpredictable in March. The typical coastal destinations include Menton, Monaco, Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, Cannes. Get the RS book if you don't have it already. You can also go Eze (le Village) but continue past as well to La Turbie, where the Trophees des Alpes is located. That trip can also be combined in a loop with stops in Peillon and Peille. There is also a walk up to the Tete du Chien. You can also go to Cap Ferrat and do the walk, or just see the Villa Ephrussi (and the Villa Kerylos in nearby Beaulieu sur Mer). From Villefranche or Nice Port you can also walk (or drive) up to Fort Alban and Mont Boron.

Try the village loop of Tourettes-sur-Loop and Gourdon, which can be combined with Vence (+St. Paul de Vence) or Grasse. Mougins is another lovely village, you can also hit villages outside of Antibes/Cannes like Vallauris (known for ceramics) and Biot (known for glass). In good weather, you can take the ferry from Cannes to St. Honorat Island, where there is a tower (if open) and monastery.

You can also drive or train into italy, to towns like San Remo or take the drive to the hill villages of Dolceacqua and Apricale.