Please sign in to post.

French riviera itinerary

We plan to stay in Monaco for 5 nights and have planned this itinerary:

We are renting a car (hopefully shouldn't be issue driving compered to driving in USA)

Day 1 - Eze, Villefranche-sur-Mer, Cap Ferret

Day 2 - Antibes, Cannes, Grasse

Day 3 - Menton vs Chateau des Lavandes/Provence and lavender fields. Any castle to visit in this area?

Day 4 - Monaco and Nice

Will appreciate input if we can visit these places in each day and any recommendations to see when visiting these places or any specific routes to take. I am planning to use google maps on cell phone ( Do I need to download or will there be good cell phone coverage)

and which cell phone company SIM card to get for this area?

Any issue finding free or paid parking in these stops?

Hotel in Monte Carlo charges 40 euros daily.

Thanks.

Posted by
1125 posts

palciparum,
When will you be there? I ask because the lavender fields are in bloom mostly around June/early July. Also, besides Google maps, the website viamichelin.com has good info and route options from place to place. Usually there are 2-3 choices, fastest, shortest, most scenic. It will help in planning your roads trips. Just be aware that Google maps and viamichelin don't figure in time for gas/food/comfort stops, so add some time to what they tell you. I like to have a Michelin paper map for the area in France we are driving in. I spread it out and see the big picture of where we may decide to go. Plus, it makes a good souvenir, as I trace our drives in marker as a memory of our trip.
I would imagine cell phone coverage would be good everywhere on the Riviera. It is a major tourist area. As far as phones, I have no knowledge for you. I just use the Verizon $10.00 per day (only on days used) with my plan for overseas. But do download your Google maps so you don't use minutes or whatever your plan might charge you for. (Personally, I let my son set that up, as we are on his phone plan. I want to be sure he feels needed! Hah!)
Parking, I have no clue. Lots of forum contributors stay in Nice or Antibes and find that buses and trains are very convenient for travel between the towns, including Monaco so they only use a car for further trips. Search this forum (type in Riviera driving) for more help.
May I ask why you chose Monaco to stay?
Have a great trip!

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks for the reply

Visiting next weekend for 5 nights

The reason for choosing Monaco, I think I got better hotel deal.

Posted by
1125 posts

Thanks for your reply re hotel.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
231 posts

We only rented a car when we were in Provence for 3 or 4 nights but other forum posters recommended getting a English GPS system in the car as part of our rental because service in all the little Province towns/ winding roads would be spotty. It was a lifesaver. As far as French Riviera, no problem with using our phones. We also have always gotten the Verizon International package which is great because you just use your phone like you normally would. We stayed in Villefranche sur Mer at the Welcome Hotel, Rick Steve's favorite and it was wonderful. We could walk 10 minutes to the train and go to Monaco or Nice. We used it everyday including when we left the area and took train to Avignon where we rented the car at the train station for Provence. You might find it just as easy to use train instead of driving, except for when you spend a day in Provence if you end up doing that. But practically speaking, based on our experience, it is not worth your time to try and spend 1 day in Provence, all you would have time to do is drive and it would be very difficult to decide on one or two of the many towns. I would wait until you can actually spend several days there, as well as staying in one of the wonderful little towns. We stayed in St. Remy and spent several days driving around to many other small towns as well as one day going the the Pont du Gard and Arle. I think your days will be packed with all of the other places you have listed. I would be concerned about the driving and parking but I have not researched that aspect for Nice.

Posted by
704 posts

After a wet start to late spring/summer be prepared for some high temps when you arrive. Please note when driving in France there are notable differences in laws and a much lower limit for drunk driving. The corniches are going to be packed this time of year.

After you visit Eze, continue up to La Turbie and see the Trophee des Alpes. You can also see the Tete du Chien. Both lookouts will give you views with fewer tourists than in Eze. You can stop in VilleFranche-sur-Mer and then go to the Villa Ephrussi on Cap Ferrat. Don't bother driving around unless you like looking at walls, fences and hedges. The walk around Cap Ferrat is the scenic thing to do.

Instead of Grasse consider instead Tourettes-sur-Loup, Gourdon and a loop through St. Paul de Vence. Might be too much in a day combined with Cannes and Antibes. Gourdon is tiny but has the effect of a hilltop castle. There is a lovely monestary and tower on St. Honorat island (from Cannes) and a big Fort in Antibes (and near VSM)

The Luberon valley will be finished/harvested with Lavander at this point. You need to go to higher elevations, like in Sault, but that is a pretty long day trip away. If you do go to the Luberon, the village of Lacoste has the Cardin castle at the top. There are some fields in the Var but the Corso des Lavandes is finishing up as the harvest wraps up.

Parking: It can be difficult to find parking in VilleFranche-sur-Mer as the city is blocked off during peak days. The lot at the Villa Ephrussi is pretty small. The most popular lots in Nice are often taken, so arrive early and consider taking the trams to get around versus searching for a parking lot.

Posted by
11499 posts

Even though we always rent cars, this is one area where we use public transportation instead of a car. Easy and inexpensive.
Check hotel prices again as the only place in this beautiful area I won’t stay is Monaco. Look at Villefrance sur Mer and Antibes for better experiences.