Please sign in to post.

French Riviera in October?

After a week of language study near Lyon at the end of September, we will have ten days to explore another region of France. I'd like to visit the Riviera, but recently heard from an acquaintance that many nice restaurants are shut down then and the weather is often quite rainy. On the other hand, Rick's guidebook says October is a good time to visit. We don't care about spending time on the beach or in the water, but would would be hoping for some sunny days. Any input is appreciated. (FYI, we've traveled to Paris, Normandy, and the Loire Valley, but have many other areas of France yet to explore, so we are flexible on destination, just not on the timing).

Posted by
23268 posts

It is a dice roll. About ten years we were there in mid Oct it is sunny, warm, very, very pleasant. Couldn't be better. Was sitting in a sidewalk cafe one afternoon and commented, a little too loudly, about the terrific weather, when the couple at the next table said, "You should have been here last week! It was cold, windy, and rainy all week. If we had not had a pre-paid reservation we would have left."

Posted by
2953 posts

The year I visited the French Riviera was late Sep early Oct and I wore summer clothes every day and so did everyone else. Never experienced a cloudy day either and I was there for six nights.

Posted by
27122 posts

From the weather standpoint I really don't think there's a better area of mainland France to visit in October than the Riviera, so if you want to practice your French, I'd stick with that plan. Is it guaranteed to be perfect? No. I had one gully-washer of a chilly day in early May 2017, so you just never know.

The first half of October seems early for restaurants to close, but I don't frequent "nice" restaurants, so what do I know? I can tell you that some tourist attractions (probably not major ones) might be closed an extra day each week in October--e.g., for two days rather than one. That's a pattern I noticed as I was doing research for my trip. Websites of museums, etc., revealed that a few were only open 3 or 4 days a week in mid-winter. As you plan your activities, be sure you're working with up-to-date information on hours of operation.

Posted by
678 posts

In the major cities/towns, the only things closed in early October are most of the beach clubs and other seasonal businesses (water sports, etc). Still, there will be a few open (although the beach chairs will be packed up, the restaurants may open depending on the weather). It was actually quite busy in October this year. I've dined on the beach in late November.

In November, December or January you may see some places take their annual holidays. Some of the best restaurants take theirs in August, like the other French. In the smaller villages you may see some seasonal closures, like the ** Hostellerie de Jerome in La Turbie. I know of one cafe in Nice close to the beach that closes in the winter, but it is not a place locals would go to (it's a tourist trap).

It can be a tossup with rain, with the chance increasing towards the end of the month. If you do get rain, it may not last the whole day and definitely not for extended days (as can happen in Nov/Dec).