Please sign in to post.

French Riviera

Hello fellow travelers,
I have a group of 8 people who love to travel together, Rick Steve's style. We are planning another trip, this time to Rome, Gubbio, Siena, Florence, Cinque Terre and then Bandol on the French Riviera. While I'd love any tips about places to stay, eat and must see places for all of the above, I'm primarily curious to know if anyone has gone to Bandol. I'm not into upscale hotels and restaurants or noisy, flashy places. Does anyone know of a great home rental, near a quiet beach, where you can walk to amenities? If not Bandol, what would you recommend? Also, which of the towns in Cinque Terre do you recommend? One of our travelers has some physical limitations and will need places where he can stop and sit, while the rest of us can move along.
Look forward to hearing from anyone who has some experience here.

Posted by
7865 posts

This is about Cinque Terre.
You should stay in Monterosso because it is the biggest town, has the most hotel space and more trains stop there.
I found the other towns are more compact with a lot of stairs making them possibly not as friendly for visitors who may physical limitations

Posted by
375 posts

We stayed in Nice, but visited Ville Franche sur le mer. Much to see and do in Nice but busy. Good market, but try to go early.

Ville Franche was quieter and had a sandy beach. Lots of cute shops, restaurants, and a flea market. It's easy to take the trai between all the cities along the coast. Each of them will have accessibility issues. But nice offers the huge Place Macena which is pretty walkable.