Please sign in to post.

French Pyrenees

We are enjoying the Tour de France and want to visit the Pyrenees in September. We will have a car from Normandy area and returning to Paris. 10 days. Would love your thoughts, suggestions, ideas. Thinking about heading to Andorra as well. We would like to make somewhat of a loop maybe going from Normandy to Biarritz, Pyrenees, and returning to Paris through Dordogne and Loire. Thanks very much in advance!

PS. I just received The Best of France Guide by RS but it does not cover two of the areas we are interested. Also, 2015 RS France guidebook does not cover these areas other than Dordogne and Loire. Maybe there is a reason? Any other guidebooks you would suggest?

Posted by
3603 posts

I find the Cadogan guides to be the best, and they have a title, Gascony and the Pyrenees, which will be perfect for your trip. Andorra is basically an outlet mall, not worth spending any of your limited time there.
The French Pyrenees are full of picturesque small villages, with beautiful medieval churches and monasteries. There are many hot springs with snow-capped peaks towering above.
The Basque country is wonderful, especially the food. It's a culturally distinct area; even the architecture is different. Bayonne has a good Basque museum.
If you drive south along the coast from Normandy, be sure to stop at Arcachon. The town has very interesting architecture; we got a walking tour through the TI office. The nearby beach area holds one of the largest sand dunes in the world, the Dune du Pilat, which you can climb. You can also get a sight-seeing cruise around the bassin.

Who knows why RS doesn't cover these areas. You won't encounter as many American tourists as in some other parts of France; but plenty of Europeans, especially the French, know about them. They're some of my favorite parts of France.

Posted by
16894 posts

If you haven't already, you can get a glimpse of Andorra in Rick's half-hour show on Micro-Countries. I also like Michelin Green guides (regional versions available) for a driving trip.

Posted by
2916 posts

I just spent a week in the French Pyrenees (Bearn area), a week in the Dordogne, and a day in the Loire. And 3 years ago a week in the Basque region. I'd recommend any and all of those areas. Here's my travel blog, which covers those visits: http://mainelywinenews.blogspot.com/

Posted by
842 posts

You might want to drive south, then drop off car and train back to Paris. With only 10 days, you're thinking about covering a lot of ground and I want you to see more than just French highways

Posted by
607 posts

Check out join us in France podcast. They have many episodes on this area.