Please sign in to post.

French Open (Roland Garros) 2020

Anyone been to the French open?

I plan on going to the first 3 days of this years RG, should I do one day at each of the 3 main courts ( Philippe Chatrier Suzanne Lenglen, Simonne Mathieu) or some other variation? Based on the research I did, the food on site is not the best thing/deal. It seems that outside food is not explictly banned, so it is ok to bring some in?

I found the west side of P.C has the most shade, but what about the other two? I tried getting some of this info on their official website but didn't see it at all.

Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Posted by
15582 posts

Lucky you :-) Seems to me, the top players and the French players are usually on Chatrier. I'd look at last year's schedule to get an idea and decide at least partly by who I'd most want to see play.

I just took a quick look. Most seem to be sold out already. I think you may be in a position of take what's left.

Posted by
374 posts

Their website says tickets don’t open to the public till March 25th, the tickets on sale now are for premium packages. I’m leaning toward doing all 3 days P.C.

Posted by
3996 posts

Yes, we were at the French Open a few years ago. While it is all relative, the food is less expensive and better than at the U.S. Open. Not as much variety but who cares. We were told explicitly that outside food and drink were not allowed. You can always try bringing it in but it may be confiscated at security. It’s up to you.

Picking a tennis court — there is no right or wrong answer. You will have no idea which matches are scheduled where so it is a flip of a coin. I will tell you that at Chatrier, there was no bathroom at the stadium when we were there in 2014 so it meant we had to leave the stadium, wait on long lines, and then wait on line to get back in the stadium. You could easily miss half of a set. Find out if Chatrier actually updated the Bathroom situation. It is doubtful as they are working quite slowly on putting a roof on at least one of the stadium courts. There are not as many bathrooms as there are at the U.S. Open so there are lines. They really need to fix that problem. Watch your intake of liquids! 😉

Set your alarm at the end of March to wake up and buy tickets.

Also, have your passport accessible because when you leave the stadium and then return, they will ask to see your passport to make sure you are the person whose name is on the ticket. Yes, The name of each person who is going with you will be printed on the tickets when they get mailed to you.

The grounds are intimate and even in Chatrier, you are close to the tennis which makes it a wonderful experience. Keep in mind, at the French Open, there are one or two grounds courts that are ticketed so you won’t have access to them so those who have grounds passes will have fewer options making the lines at outer courts extremely long so you may be spending the day at your ticketed court. I don’t think you have to worry about shade because it’s rarely hot. It also can be very cloudy. The weather is fantastic because of that.

Taking public transport to ROLAND-GARROS is easy.

Posted by
374 posts

I went to the uS open last year and loved it. So if I buy Chatrier seats I cannot go to lenglen or Mathieu I take it. Just the grounds. Mhmm at least the us open let’s you see everything if you buy Arthur Ashe ticket

Posted by
32 posts

We went to the French last summer. In mid-March, we got up at 3:45 a.m. and got online. We were number 17, 732 in the queue to get tickets. An hour later we were up! We had to choose date and court. We chose Lenglen on May 31st. We hit the jackpot. Saw Federer (who isn't even playing this year). We had seen Rafa, Novak, Andy, etc., but it was our first time to see Fed, and I am a huge fan. It was warm, and our seats were facing the sun, but who cared??? There were restrooms in the bottom of the stadium. Food? I can't imagine that you can bring it in. The place was packed!!! I have been to all the major tournaments except Australian, and my husband has been to that one also. I enjoyed the French more than the US Open, but you really can't compare any of them to Wimbledon. Enjoy!!

Posted by
374 posts

Their website says tickets go on sale 3/25 local time? I’m in Texas. Guessing I can buy them the 24th At 5pm?

Posted by
3996 posts

I went to the uS open last year and loved it. So if I buy Chatrier
seats I cannot go to lenglen or Mathieu I take it. Just the grounds.
Mhmm at least the us open let’s you see everything if you buy Arthur
Ashe ticket.

Yes, that is correct. With the US Open, if you have a ticket in Ashe, you can still watch a match on ANY other stadium court plus the outer courts. Not at the French Open or any other major. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Open.

Their website says tickets go on sale 3/25 local time? I’m in Texas.
Guessing I can buy them the 24th At 5pm?

No. The website is cumbersome. Single tickets go on sale on March 25 at 10am local time. So that means setting your alarm and getting up early however many hours behind CET your hometown is.

Posted by
15582 posts

If you're in TExas, you're on CST. Paris is 7 hours later. If it's 10 am in Paris, it's 3 am in Houston. But check to make sure that both the US and France are on either standard time or DST - they both switch around then and maybe a week apart.

Good luck with the tickets. I got to spend 2 days at the Aussie open a few years ago. Wonderful experience.

Posted by
9565 posts

Good point Chani - and indeed the U.S. goes over to DST this weekend, while France doesn’t switch until March 29. So the ticket sale date falls squarely in the “in-between” time.

Posted by
3996 posts

I want to give you a heads up.

The Indian Wells tournament was canceled last night. It was to begin today with qualifying matches. The reason is merely 1 person in Riverside County which is quite a large county area wise in the desert contracted coronavirus.

If they can cancel this Masters event for just one instance of coronavirus, the entire European circuit including the French Open could be canceled. How many cases of coronavirus are there in Paris currently? If there’s even one person with coronavirus in Paris in mid-May, don’t be surprised if they cancel.

Just giving you a heads up.

Posted by
374 posts

It’s funny. Last night I was going to look at the qualifying draw and saw IW had been cancelled 30 mins earlier.

My guess is if I purchase tickets and it’s cancelled I get a complete refund or am I wrong in believing that?

Either way if it gets cancelled or not I’ll be in Paris for it :) as long as I’m allowed to board my plane I’m going.

Posted by
9565 posts

They have announced today that Roland Garros will be delayed until end of September.

Posted by
374 posts

Yeah I saw that. there’s only going to be 1 week in between the Us Open and Roland Garros