Please sign in to post.

French Open 2016---advice?

We are big tennis fans and have been to the US Open (several years ago) and Australian Open (this year). We will be in London for a month next May and my husband suggested we take a few days to go to Paris by train and see the Open. We like to see the early rounds with a grounds pass---that worked well for us in the previous two. Can anyone help me get started with the research?
When do the grounds passes go on sale---is it still March as in previous years? for lodging, we would like to walk to the venue if possible, so thinking of staying in the 16th. Is this a bad idea? I know we could stay farther away and use the Metro, but I really do not care for subways. We have walked up to 10 miles a day in Paris before. We really won't have any other goals for this short visit (no museums, etc.)

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
15601 posts

For tickets, I would just keep watching the official website this winter for announcements.

The 16th around the Marmottan Museum is lovely (and a 30-40 minute walk, per google). I'm not familiar with the area south of there, but it sounds like a good idea.

Hmmm, now you've put that idea into my head. . . .

Posted by
15601 posts

Yes, that's the official site for Roland Garros.

A lot of small hotels and B&Bs (not just in Paris, not just in France) don't take reservations more than about 3 months ahead. You can narrow down your choices now, but there's not much else to do except wait till maybe November to start checking with them. Sometimes it's because they don't set next year's rates the winter. If you're trying to book on the internet, try emailing them instead and asking when they plan to start taking reservations. Whatever they tell you, I'd start checking at least a month before that, maybe two - but that's the sort of thing I stress about.

Posted by
1 posts

There is really no need to stay in the 16th. E.g., if you are staying near the 10 line of the metro, you get on that, and have a 10-15 minute walk from Porte d'Auteuil station or 15 minutes from Boulogne - Jean Jaurès station (a nice stroll through a residential area and there are shops to buy food around the station also). Total travel time from your apartment into the stadium is 50 minutes +/-

Posted by
16385 posts

Just saw Serena win Wimbledon!

We really do want to walk, not take the Metro. I found and booked a studio apartment in the 16th, after "walking" the route to Roland Garros on Google street view. Most of it is on tree-lined streets and it looks fine.

Now to figure out the grounds passes.