Please sign in to post.

Free Time in Paris

My husband, step-son, and I will be visiting Paris in June 2025. My step-son is 28 years old and is very easy-going. On one of the days we are in Paris, my husband and I will attend Roland Garros (The French Open tennis tournament). My step-son isn't a tennis fan, and doesn't really want to spend a whole day at the tournament. I have asked him what he would like to do on the day when we are at the tournament, and he says he'll find something to do. That means, "I'll figure it out when I get there." As I said, he's very easy-going.

Experience has taught me to do some research before traveling. When I very first started traveling, if I visited a location without doing any research first, I would find out about some activity or site after I'd left, and would have the feeling of wishing I would have known about it so I could have seen it. I don't want him to waste a day or miss out on something he would have liked to do.

My husband and I have visited Paris before, but this will be my step-son's first time to Europe. I'd like to suggest some ideas for him, but other than a show at the Moulin Rouge, I'm coming up short. We will be taking him to all of the major sites, so I'd like to offer him some ideas of something that is not a top attraction since we're doing all those together.

Is there an activity or attraction that you would suggest for him? For those of you who have been to Paris with similar aged kids, what was something that they enjoyed? He'll have pretty much all day on his own. I accept the fact that he is not a planner and researcher like I am. If he truly wants to figure it out when he gets there, that's OK. But giving him some ideas won't hurt.

Posted by
42 posts

Does he like anything in particular? Architecture, art, music, shopping, sports, food?

Posted by
345 posts

He likes golfing, sampling different kinds of beer, and watching football.

Posted by
2484 posts

It sounds like he will be able to enjoy himself just fine by simply wandering around and taking in the life of the city. Paris is very conducive to that approach.

Posted by
5364 posts

As gingerly as possible, I would suggest that perhaps his " I'll figure it out when I get there" may be code for " I'm a 28 year old man and I know how to handle a day by myself". If he wants to do nothing more than sit on a park bench and watch video on his phone, well, its his day to spend as he wishes. If you feel you must give him a list of things to do, the Paris At A Glance page under the Explore Europe tab has one: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/france/paris I'm sure TripAdvisor has several lists.

Posted by
345 posts

LOL, CJean! Yes, I had thought of that. : ) I wish he'd do a little research ahead of time. Thank you for the website. I'll certainly suggest he look, and I realize that if the doesn't, that is his prerogative. Kids have minds of their own...

Posted by
345 posts

Maybe I should add a little more context.

His dad, my husband, is the kind of person who will feel VERY guilty leaving him by himself all day. I have no problem leaving him on his own. I'd like step-son to be able to say to his dad, "Dad, I'm going to do ______ today," so that his dad won't feel bad about leaving him alone. Yes, I know, I wish DH wasn't that way, but he is who he is.

Posted by
791 posts

Maybe he would enjoy the Canal St. Martin area? Have a couple of beers on the banks of the canal?

Posted by
345 posts

Thank you, Dawn. I am not familiar with that area. I will check it out.

Posted by
1057 posts

I would refrain from giving him any ideas as others have also suggested. If that doesn't sit well with you (and I know as a planner myself that I would find it hard), get him a copy of one of the guidebooks with lots of pictures such as DK Eyewitness. Tell him that you just couldn't resist looking at the pictures and thought he might like to leaf through.

Frankly, if he doesn't manage to spend his time "wisely", that is likely to be his personal choice at age 28. Maybe he thinks he will want a day off from the family sightseeing, but is too polite to express that.

Posted by
25 posts

I have a 28 year old son who likes to be independent. He politely takes suggestions from parents and grandparents, but in the end, does his own online searching, asks his friends for tips, and figures out what to do. I bet your stepson might be the same.

Posted by
345 posts

Thank you for the ideas, ORDTraveler, Kate98, and KD. I will take that all into consideration!

Posted by
747 posts

Honestly, at 28 years old he is old enough to decide what he wants to do. It might be hard for him to express that to Dad, but I would think that the stepson would appreciate you backing off. Just give him a guidebook and let him do his own thing. Lonely Planet has good guidebooks, as well as RS.

Posted by
345 posts

Thank you all. I will have the DH read your replies--maybe he will realize that his son will be OK!