Please sign in to post.

France Rail Pass Validation

Must France rail passes be validated before boarding a train for the first time and if so, who does that and where is it done?

Posted by
8084 posts

Think twice about buying these passes, they are almost never a good deal these days given the mandatory long distance reservation costs and the limited number of 'pass available' seats on TGV and other long distance trains.

Posted by
16894 posts

As I've mentioned before, there's no longer supposed to be an artificial limit on passholder seat reservations within France - only on international routes.

Posted by
14550 posts

You can have that rail pass activated at the ticket counter in a train station. The staff person at the counter will stamp it showing its date and the words, SNCF. After that you're in business Yes, get that done prior to boarding the train.

This can also be done in the ticket office, which is what I do in Germany by going to the Reisezentrum in a train station.

Posted by
2550 posts

I have found no French itinerary making pass purchase a worthwhile option. The TGV reservation fee can cost about what advance purchase tickets cost and even if there is no artificial limit on passholder seat reservations, there are trains which sell out, particularly during holiday periods.