Please sign in to post.

France July 2019

Heading to France and will be in the the following for (each 4-5 days) Paris, Nice and Lyon. What are must sees and what should we be thinking about buying tickets in advance for?

Posted by
1443 posts

The Rick Steves France guidebook covers those places thoroughly! Paris is Paris, of course, and Nice is very nice. Sadly, I've never been to Lyon.

Posted by
2130 posts

Train tickets? Usually cheaper to purchase them in advance. Paris — you can buy a Paris Museum Pass once you arrive at one of the smaller museums (Rodin, Cluny). It’s a good value and saves time standing in line. I expect that in July there will be lots of tourists so be prepared. Another benefit is ready access to restrooms. Buy Eiffel Tower tickets in advance from the official website. Love France! ❤️ Have fun!

Posted by
2707 posts

You are one month away from what could be the trip of a lifetime and you are asking this now? Have you done no preparation? Maybe I over plan, but I’d have had every day pretty much locked and loaded 3-6 months ago. If you want to visit The Eiffel Tower get on that site now!

Posted by
3697 posts

The must-sees are the things that generated your interest in going to Paris, Lyon, and Nice.

Posted by
27118 posts

I'm not aware of any sights in Lyon or Nice for which you need to buy tickets in advance. If I've overlooked something, I trust one of the other posters will let us both know.

Posted by
473 posts

For some places you maybe to late to pre purchase tickets. But you can try. As another poster said, you should have been planning earlier. You are underestimating how crowded Europe is these days. Good luck with planning

Posted by
9420 posts

“You are underestimating how crowded Europe is these days.”

Unfortunately, Paris will be extremely crowded with tourists in July. It can also be very hot. If that’s a concern, look for hotels with AC.

The Eiffel Tower is the only place i can think of that you’ll need advance tickets, as Donna said.

Posted by
2 posts

Yes . . . We have all hotels and trains booked, as well as Eiffel Tower. Was just wondering if we’ve missed anything.

Posted by
7285 posts

I assume you’re picking up a France RS book to maximize your time in these cities, so I won’t also list the places he mentions. There’s so much to do in Paris! Pick out what appeals to you from his list, and be sure to leave time to just enjoy the ambiance at a sidewalk cafe.

We really enjoyed our time in Lyon. Our favorite area was the Vieux Lyon, funicular and hillside. Be sure to walk through some of the Traboules and read ahead of time why they were created and how they were helpful in the war, etc.