Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary Suggestions

My wife and I are planning our first trip to France next May, mostly dodging the public holidays. Tentative plan is to spend first 6 days in Paris, then 2-3 days in Normandy (Bayeux). We have 7-8 more days to plan.
We want to spend a minimum of 3 nights at each location. Would driving from Bayeux to Loire area for 3-4 days be a good option? Stop at Mont St-Michel? Suggestions for the remaining 3-4 days, before returning to Paris for flight home?
Appreciate any suggestions for our last week in France.
Thank you,
Roy

Posted by
887 posts

Roy…..we did a marvelous trip to France that included flying to Paris, driving to Normandy and doing the WW2 tour, spending a night at MSMichel on the island and driving to the Loire Valley to see the chateaus. After this we drove back to Paris for 4-5 days and then home. It was great……we loved it.

Posted by
6662 posts

Jane's suggestion is a good one if you want to consider some additional Paris time at the end of your trip. You could stay in a different part of the city and/or make day trips to places like Versailles, Chartres, St-Denis, Fontainebleau, Giverny, or others.

I don't know Brittany well but you could spend some time there between MSM and the Loire. Or, after the Loire, move south to the Dordogne -- although that means a lot more driving time and a longer return trip to CDG.

Don't spread yourselves out too thin. Adding just a couple more days to each of the places you already listed would result in a more relaxed trip and deeper dive into these interesting areas. Hopefully you'll return to France in the future. May is a good time to visit, with long daylight hours, pleasant weather, and lots of trees and flowers in bloom.

Posted by
33 posts

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Very helpful.