Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary Late May 2025

Hi all,
I’d like to ask for some advice on planning a trip around a 5 day cruise we’re taking from May 22 through May 26
(Barcelona , Provence, St.Tropez, Nice , return Barcelona). In addition to this part of our trip we’d like to stop at Paris
For 3 days, Lyon 2 days , Normandy 3 days (Rouen, Omaha beach and Mont.St. Michel). We’re thinking fly U.S. to Paris then take a train to Normandy for 3 days, train back to Paris for 3 days , train to Lyon for 2 days , train to Barcelona and then take cruise
And fly home from Barcelona.
I’m not sure how to handle the Normandy portion of the trip. Would a car rental be my best bet for Rouen, Omaha beach and Mont. St. Michel or would bus or train be better ? Or, Would it be better to take a train from Paris to Mont.St. Michel then Mon. St. Michel to beaches and Rouen and work my way down from Rouen to Paris to Lyon to Barcelona ? We’d rather take trains but car or plane can be utilized if that makes more sense. Hope this wasn’t too confusing and I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Anthony

Posted by
779 posts

We took the train from Paris to Rennes where we picked up a rental car visit Mont St Michel, then Bayeux, then Rouen. You can return the rental car in Rouen then return to Paris. (Or do this in reverse.) Car rental is the only way to efficiently get around in Normandy. It’s super easy to drive there. Just make sure your accommodations in Bayeux have a place to park the car. And don’t plan on actually needing the car in Rouen itself. Pick up or drop off the car accordingly.

Posted by
5334 posts

Ideally, you would train to Rouen and pick up your rental car there. Use the car for the Normandy part of your trip and return the car in Rennes or Caen. There is no direct train service in Mont St Michel, and bus service in the Omaha Beach area is not conducive to sightseeing. After dropping the car, train to Lyon. That segment will invariably involve a change in Paris.