Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary -- Help!!!

We are planning to be in France from June 8 to June 23 with our two college-aged children. We have been to Provence twice (both times basing in Avignon). While we LOVE Provence and really would like to go back -- we are also interested in Reims/Epernay, Colmar, Chamonix and a few days in Provence (maybe in Aix this time?). We would also like a few days in Paris at the end. Any tips on how to plan? Train or rental car is fine. Thank you, thank you for any advice.

Posted by
873 posts

We fly in and out of Paris and train from there to our destination. If we rent a car we rent it at our destination......like Avignon. We drive through the area and then turn the car back in to train back to Paris where we stay for 4-5 days before flying home. We did this once to see Normandy, Mont St Michel and the Loire Valley......and then 5 days in Paris before going home.

Posted by
15576 posts

Maybe fly into Marseille, 4N in Aix, then drive (most of a day) to Chamonix It's a minimum of 2N in Chamonix - long mountain drives in and out - and you are taking on chance the weather - if it's overcast and/or low clouds, it will be 2-3 wasted days. You may as well stop for at least 1/2 day in Annecy, maybe overnight there if you skip Chamonix. From Chamonix or Annecy google says it's about 4-5 hours to Colmar, faster through Switzerland but if you're driving past Lake Geneva and Basel, wouldn't you want to stop for a day to see them? Colmar and the nearby villages need 4N without Strasbourg (well worth a full day). From Colmar you could drive on the highway in half a day to Reims, but Burgundy has so much to see, you could spend a week driving through and only see a bit of it. Seems like you're trying to cover too much geography.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you for the replies. Maybe Chamonix is too much of a geographical outlier? Would Reims, Colmar, Aix, Paris work? Chani - what would recommend in Burgundy? Thanks again.

Posted by
15576 posts

Burgundy - everything! I was only there for 4N, based in Avalon and day tripped to various towns, villages, and more. Vezelay (I happened to be there on the day of the equinox - very special in the abbey), Noyers, Fontenay Abbey, Auxerre, Château de Bazoches, even big city Beaune. More, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Posted by
954 posts

Alex,

I have only been to Paris (three times) but my college-age daughter studied there for 5 months and traveled a ton. For what it's worth, she loved Chamonix and Annecy. My husband and I are 90% confirmed to go to Aix-en-Provence this fall for a month; our kids will hopefully come for part! It sounds great for college-aged children: a music festival, outdoor cafes, pubs and bars, pretty architecture, museums, squares.

Oh, and I'd love you to message the link of the VRBO you did not like. Nice to tuck that away for future travel.

Thank you!