Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary

I am currently planning a first France trip for my wife and I and would love to hear some suggestions. To avoid long distances, and too much chaos I have chosen to focus on regions rather than doing a whirlwind tour of the country.

My first itinerary is to take the train from the UK to Beune, spend 3 nights in Burgundy, using either Beune or Dijon as the base, and maybe take a day trip; move onto the Alsace for 3 nights, use Colmar as the base, see some sights and drink a lot of wine; visit Verdun, stay in Reims for a night, and lastly travel to Paris for 5 nights, using 1-2 days to take day trips (going to the D-Day beach tour, Versailles, Chartres, etc.).

The are many areas that I am cutting out, but the one I really am regretting is spending a night or two in Normandy. It would definitely make the logistics getting to the D-Day tour much easier. Is there an easy mode of transportation that will take you there should we make that the first stop from the UK?

My second itinerary would be to fly from the UK to Nice, spend 6 nights along the French/Riviera, take a few day trips, enjoy the beaches, museums, and the small villages; and then move on to Paris for 5 nights.

Posted by
4132 posts

These are all stellar destinations. You have rightly grasped that it is easy to do too much.

On that score I would cut back on the stops in Itinerary No 1., adding more to Paris or saving some of those day trips for another time. Speaking of day trips, its easy to visit Reims as a day trip from Paris, so you can consolidate your sleeps a little that way.

I'd save the D-Day beaches for a trip when you've got more more time for Normandy and not have to spend so much of your day on a bus.

It sounds as though you've got 13 nights in France for itinerary no. 1, but only 11 for no 2. What is up with that? You really will not like squeezing no. 1 into 11 nights. For No. 2, I'd divide time between the Riviera and Rhone-valley Provence.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks Adam, math can sometimes be a challenge but 11 nights is the goal?

Do you mean substitute the Rhone for Paris or split the 6 days with the French Riviera? I don't know much about the Rhone Valley. Do you have any recommendations?

Posted by
15589 posts

Are you planning to rent a car or will you be dependent on public transportation?

Posted by
2546 posts

I count 10 full days (11 nights) of opportunity. You have time for 3 locations, maybe. 2 full days in Burgundy, 2 days in Alsace and 6 days in Paris. The basics of Paris take no fewer than 3 to 4 days. You would have 1 day for Versailles and 1 day for a Normandy tour. Even as seemingly simple as this appears, there is a lot of traveling and I would not add anything extra.

Stick with this itinerary. You're not cutting out anything that you have time to see.

Posted by
4 posts

Are you planning to rent a car or will you be dependent on public
transportation?

Chani we would pick up a car in Burgundy and return it upon arrival in Paris.

Posted by
4 posts

Andrew that is definitely a change. I am the history buff, my wife on the other hand is going to want to mix in some R&R. How is the wine in the Loire and Dordogne?

I will do some research.

Posted by
10229 posts

Hi RJ, I see you are from Sacramento. We have a travel group here that meets on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the Panera Bread on N. Freeway in North Natomas. Many of us have been to France. I've been there 6 times. We would welcome you to join us to talk about your trip. Please feel free to private message me with any questions.

Posted by
4574 posts

For a first visit, and with Paris as a stop, I would either go with Plan B, or something closer to Paris. I would suggest Paris and Loire Valley. Wife will love the environment, castles, and biking along the countryside. I is much older history than the wars, but an easier combination. Though it can be done by public transport, I suggest a car.

In the future, and if you have a car at home, what about a WWII road trip (if Calais ofers a ferry). You will have that whole Normandy coast and can add Amiens. I think Colmar and regions would pair with Nancy, or some of the regions in Germany better than Paris.

Posted by
4132 posts

Hi RJ,

You should make your own assessment Nice - Provence - Paris. You can get a taste of Province in 3 nights, but not exhaust its charms in a week. Paris is equally great.

As for sights to see, you could stay in a small city like Arles or a small town like St Remy (car required). Both have considerable charm, and very fine Roman antiquities. If you like that sort of thing there are more in Nimes and the Roman theater in Orange and the Pont du Garde.

But really check out a guidebook. In season there are many interesting cultural events in the cities and especially in Avignon.

The math does not work for the Dordogne unless you can fly from London to Bordeaux or Toulouse. If that works you could divide your time between it and Paris. I would caution against squeezing in anything else, though the Loire is enroute.

Posted by
620 posts

Hi RJ,
For wine advice, one could check out the Michelin Green Guide book called, 'The Wine Routes of France' (there is an additional title for Italy). They are serious books, chock full of listings and maps but stopping just shy of being 'overwhelming wine bore bibles'. This book may or may not influence your choices, but we have found it useful to supplement what we already know.

As for your itinerary, there are valuable tips in the above posts. I'll play the contrarian and toss out another possibility: just do Uzes (just west of Avignon) and Beaune. Keep it simple and leave the other destinations for next time. Bonne chance.
I am done. The end.