Please sign in to post.

France Itinerary

We will be arriving in Marseille on May 1. We will be arriving in Paris May 12 in the afternoon and leaving Paris for Nice wherre we fly out the next day. I couldn't do the fly into one city and fly out of another for a good reason. We will travel to Colmar May 8th and spend 3 days in Colmar and Strasbourge. So we have 7 days to plan between Marseille and Colmar. About 1 1/2 days to travel.
I see the most people like the Dordogne and then Provence. Not as many mention Burgandy. We want small charming villages or towns, not big cities like Lyon. Good food and wine, but still reasonable and wine. We like art, want to see at least 1 medieval village and perhaps castle. Of course, unique is always good. Roman ruins aren't necessary as we will be spending time in Italy also. We are traveling by bus and train. I go back and forth with my ideas after reading different peoples posts. Maybe with these details, someone can help us decide on how to spend the time. When you suggest a place, please say why you liked it. That might help more than anything.

Posted by
10577 posts

I love Burgundy. In fact, we're planning a trip back in the next few months to visit some of the villages. I've been to every place mentioned in the other thread and more. They are all different, all have their own individual characteristics.

However, with so little time, your itinerary is already all over the place. You should concentrate in the areas you already need to travel through: Provence, Burgundy. Both areas are wonderful in May.

You didn't ask this, but you should be aware that to get from Colmar to Nice, you have one direct train on May 12, at 2:05 pm arriving at 10:28 pm. All other itineraries require two changes, some changes have you crossing Paris from one train station to another.

Trains can also have delays--I've been on many delayed trains. Finally, May 12th is a Sunday after a five-day weekend, so some of your train options could sell out.

Posted by
303 posts

Bets, Can I ask which villages you visited? Did you get there with a car? Can you get there by bus. If you only could return to one, which would it be? Also, did you go to Beaune or Dijon. What did you like about them?
Thanks so much.

Posted by
302 posts

I used to live in Bourgogne. You might consider spending a night in Paray le Monial. It's a pilgrimage destination for certain believers. It also has a small medieval core and a large basilica (Basilique du Sacre Coeur). If you've ever seen a painting of Jesus pointing to his chest that contains a flaming heart, that comes from Paray le Monial. It's where the vision supposedly occurred. And it was supposed to have occurred at a church you can visit (Chapelle de la Visitation) a short walk from the basilica. The nun who saw the vision is memorialized there. And the priest who pushed for her to be canonized is himself memorialized in another church nearby (Chapelle Saint Claude de la Colombière). This last church is fairly new (dating from the early 20th century) but is an amazing display of mosaic art. it's small but spectacular.

The canal that bisects the town was, in WWII, the division between occupied France and "Free" (Vichy) France.

There are a couple of good restaurants in the area: I would recommend either Le Domaine des Marguerites in town near the train station (formerly l'Apostrophe) or l'Auberge de Vigny just outside town to the north in a sylvan setting. The latter is owned by a very nice couple who (in my experience) will provide you a very welcoming and warm experience. They were real troopers during Covid, providing takeout meals to longing customers one day a week, by reservation. They're now back in full operation.

Posted by
664 posts

Two years ago we spent 6 days in Dijon. It is a great sized town with a lovely art museum. We took the train to Beaune for the day. We had planned a second day trip to Dole in the Jura area but ended up not going which I do regret. We enjoyed our time in that area.

Posted by
10577 posts

Can I ask which villages you visited? Did you get there with a car? Can you get there by bus. If you only could return to one, which would it be? Also, did you go to Beaune or Dijon. What did you like about them?

I've visited dozens and dozens in both northern and southern Burgundy because my in-laws lived there. A car is necessary for villages. Bus service runs with school pick up and drop off or market trips to a neighboring city. You would have to study all schedules carefully.
My reasons for returning are different from a visitors, but of the ones I've visited, perhaps Saumure-en-Auxois or Flavigny. I've been to Beaune and Dijon numerous times and have friends born and raised in Beaune. Beaune is where people can rest, relax. The sights in town take about two hours. On the other hand, Dijon is a city with multiple museums, a paleo-Christian church crypt and a lot to see and do. For my style of traveling, I'd be bored in Beaune after one day, but we have foodie friends who decompressed from stressful jobs by staying in Beaune for a week.
Dijon isn't in the RS book because that's not where he went when he originally put his itinerary together. That doesn't mean that Dijon doesn't have many pages in other guidebooks, particularly the Michelin green guide.