Please sign in to post.

France in December 2014

Hello All,

My wife and I are planning a trip to France in Dec 2014. I will be reaching Paris on Dec 24, 2014 and departing from Paris on Jan 6, 2015. I was looking to spend about 5 nights in Paris at the start of our trip. I would greatly appreciate any inputs on the following:

1. We plan to head to Strasburg on Dec 29, 2014 for a couple of nights for the Christmas markets. Is that too late? Should we instead do a day trip head to Strasburg on say Dec 26 or 27 for the Christmas markets? Is it possible to return to Paris the same day?

2. Since options in Dec are limited, what would be the best itinerary for us to plan for the rest of the trip after the 5 nights in Paris? We would ideally prefer a combination of small towns and the countryside. Neither of us have been anywhere in France except Paris before this. We aren't looking at skiing or travelling too much and would prefer train travel to renting a car (though renting is doable if necessary).

Please feel free to suggest any alterations to our trip, including reshuffling the Paris dates. Thanks a lot in advance.

Warm regards,

Rohan

Posted by
32747 posts

The Christkindelsmärik is open until 31st December, but hotels are booked up months in advance.

It would be worthwhile checking what hotels are available for your short projected stay. If you want to do it as a day trip, using the new fast TGV from Paris Gare de l'Est to Strasbourg and then walk or use the modern tram, the train goes approximately once an hour (at xx:25 or xx:55 but not both) in about 2:20 of fast travel. So you are talking of nearly 5 hours on the train in one day to experience the Christkindelsmärik.

But it can be done.

The last train back is at 2016, getting back to Paris at 2235.

Posted by
3 posts

Hi, thanks a lot for taking the time to respond. The general advice we're getting is the we should avoid the countryside and the smaller towns. But which cities would you recommend visiting along with Paris? We have about 12 clear days in our trip.

Posted by
9110 posts

What's up with the 'general advice' business? Why specifically -- everything's still there, the countryside doesn't disappear? You might be missing something you really wanted to see for no good reason.

Posted by
3 posts

The general advice we're getting is that the countryside will be cold and dreary and more importantly, a lot of places will be closed and boarded up for the Winter. Please feel free to disagree (and tell us why , if you do).

However, if we were to stick to larger cities, which would you recommend?

Posted by
11315 posts

You are traveling in what many regard as "off-season" (except that it is Christmas and cities are busy), avoided by many who fear they may encounter less-than-perfect weather. I do not know France (yet) but I know Italy and we LOVE off-season travel in most areas. Usually the weather is better than we expected and crowds are less.

I offer this seemingly non-relevant advice to encourage you to pick some place to visit for your available days that you want to see, no matter the season. Some places will be closed, but not all. Seek your back doors, allow time for possibly marginal weather. Maybe Burgundy or Normandy, perhaps Provence? You could even fly to Rome!