Please sign in to post.

France -

If you had a choice to either go to the French Riviera for a couple days or the Swiss Alps, what would you suggest? We are doing three days in Paris prior and want to add an additional Place.

Posted by
23325 posts

First, the French Riviera is a relatively small place that is fairly similar from one end to the other. The Alps are huge with a very wide variation of scenery, cities, etc. so it is really not a true comparison. What do you want to do? Where do you wan to go in the Swiss Alps? I would go where it is the easiest to reach via transportation. And there are many other options from Paris than these two. Why these two for you?

Posted by
277 posts

Do you and your compadres prefer warm stony beaches and impossibly quaint villages or you do prefer world-class alpine views and recreational opportunities?

Posted by
11 posts

We are going for a romantic get away. So of course Paris is a first for us both. We love wine tasting and thought it would be great to either go on some beautiful hikes or to a gorgeous beach and enjoy the sun. We enjoy being in an area with multiple things to do, and have 8 days to get this in. Was thinking either Paris then wine tasting then the beach or Paris to hike the alps. I really want to see all of it , but need to see what time wise is the best option
Thanks
Lianne

Posted by
11294 posts

Chocolate or vanilla? New York or the Grand Canyon?

To use a great analogy from our poster Chani, comparing the French Riviera to the Swiss Alps isn't comparing apples and oranges, it's comparing apples and bicycles. They are SO different, and you can have a great trip to either one, but you need to figure out what kind of trip you want. If you're looking for beaches and Roman ruins, you won't find it in the Alps. If you're looking for incredible mountain vistas, glaciers, and hikes, you won't find these on the Riviera.

Posted by
11 posts

Really trying to see in the short time we have what would work best. Everything sounds amazing but want to make sure getting to and from will work

Posted by
782 posts

It depends on where you live,do you live near the sea or the mountains,personally the Alps are one of my favorite destinations because they are so varied.
Mike

Posted by
15598 posts

Color me confused. Your heading is Germany and you're asking about the riviera and the Swiss alps. Is your whole trip 8 days or are you going to Germany after your couple of days in at the beach or the mountains? If the former, do you have to go back to Paris to fly home?

Posted by
27207 posts

Weather-wise, August is not likely to be a great time on the Riviera, though there's a good chance of some breezes along the coast to make you feel a bit cooler. Still, I wouldn't travel that long on a short trip for a couple of August days on the Riviera. It was quite nice this year during the second half of May, and the first half of that month wasn't bad, just cloudy with occasional rain. I only got soaked once. Maybe plan to hit the Riviera and provence on another trip?

You might consider Normandy, which tends to be quite a bit cooler and would offer beach time, though I don't actually know about the water temperature; it was quite warm today, but most of the folks on the beach at Cabourg were sunning rather than in the water. Select your destination carefully if you want pre-20th century architecture or even pre-war architecture, because WW II did a number on the historic areas of many cities in Normandy.

Both Annecy (on a lake near the Alps) and ColmRa (on a river)--both with canals--are very romantic in appearance. Unfortunately, hordes of other tourists agree, and Annecy in particular was extremely overrun during my June visit. And both cities can definitely be very hot. I don't know that your odds in either one would be much better than on the Riviera.