Please sign in to post.

France early July 2024, yes I know

Hello,
We’re planning a visit to London and France late June / early July 2024.
I’m looking for help planning the second half of the trip and departure city. (Planning open jaw flights SAN-LHR, ???-SAN, approx. 29Jun – 20Jul.

I know the Olympics, Tour de France, crowds, price increases, weather, etc. discourage this trip at that time. We are planning this with eyes open, but this is something that means a lot to us for a variety of reasons.

My daughter plans to leave her current lab end of June and start her PHD program in Philadelphia in early August. We just learned her availability for travel in the last couple of days since the offers for the PHD programs are just coming in.

We have been to London and Paris a few times and completely understand that there will be crowds and closures. I have been able to locate, with suggestions from the forum in other posts, lovely apartments in Paris that are still available during the first 10 or so days in July. Even the lovely Signature St Germain des Prés, where we stayed twice last year, has rooms available at reasonable prices. (we have rooms reserved)

We want to start in London so we can visit the Tate Sargent and Fashion exhibit, (tickets secured). We love taking the Eurostar to Paris, (maybe we stop in Lille?)

My challenge is where to go from Paris after around the 10th. We still have 10 to 14 days available to us.

I would love to show her Rouen since I really enjoyed my visit last September. I can’t figure out where to go from there that gets us close to an airport with good connections back to SAN without backtracking to Paris.

I was thinking of Paris to Strasbourg by train and then Strasbourg to Zurich.

Nice is out due to the finish of the Tour at the same time we would be departing.

I know time is of the essence that we finalize our plans and I have read many posts suggesting we avoid France this summer. I appreciate them, but we are looking for ways to make it work, knowing the obstacles.

I apologize for the long post and appreciate suggestions.

Posted by
1138 posts

I would love to show her Rouen since I really enjoyed my visit last
September. I can’t figure out where to go from there that gets us
close to an airport with good connections back to SAN without
backtracking to Paris.

The closest place to Rouen with connections to the States is Paris. Getting from Rouen to Strasbourg by train would similarly take you through Paris, and driving between the two is over a 6-hour drive with commensurate expenses of fuel and tolls. Then of course, you still have to get to Zurich. If your heart is set on Rouen (wonderful little city), I would do it as a day trip or overnight from Paris with the intent of returning to Paris.

Posted by
646 posts

Jules,
Pharmaphil is correct about Rouen. I would do an overnight there from Paris. It is worth the time. And Strasbourg is in the opposite direction, so go there when you have finished with Paris. You could spend 3-4 full days in the Alsace area, then head to Switzerland if you want. I wouldn't go to Zurich though. It is nice, but there are other, more enchanting places in Switzerland. Or how about Munich or Berlin or Vienna? All three have lots to see and flights to the US. If the train from Strasbourg to any of them seems like a long trip, there are flights on local airlines.
Sounds like you will have a wonderful trip. Enjoy!

Posted by
237 posts

Our spring travels begin in Paris. Then Normandy. We are heading to Belgium and the Netherlands from Rouen then Lille; then on to Ghent, and other parts of the two countries. Departing for the US from Amsterdam.

We enjoyed Munich, Salzburg and Vienna during the summer a few years ago, but it sure was hot.

And you take your opportunities when you can! Enjoy your travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Lately, there have been issues with heat in France in July, and we had a lovely trip last year in the Normandy/Brittany area - where the temperatures were perfect for us. From Rouen, you could easily visit Honfleur, Mont Ste Micheal and then Honfleur. And Bayeux is also great. Go on to the Normandy beaches, if you can - excellent museums (we're Canadian, so partial to that one, but they are mostly all good).

That trip will give you lovely beaches, great seafood, charming old towns. But no wine growers - mostly cider.

For wine, though, you could also drop down to the Loire and visit a few chateau. There are usually inexpensive flights from Rennes or Nantes to the UK, and then you could fly back to SAN from there. But be alert to the luggage charges on those short-hop flights.

diane

Posted by
97 posts

Thank you all for the well wishes and suggestions.
I like the idea of exploring the Normandy/Brittany areas with a visit to Loire.

It may make sense to take a TGV back to Paris and fly home from CDG since the fares are still reasonable through mid July.
I'm not opposed to the budget carriers but I really don't want to connect through LHR after a couple of grueling experiences.
Now I need to search the forum for hotels and rental car advice. :)

Posted by
9420 posts

I love Mont St Michel, mentioned in a previous post, but i don’t think July is a good time to visit. It will be jammed with tourists from early morning to night every day in the summer. It’s magical in the off-season, and miserable in the summer months. Use your limited time somewhere else in Normandy (which i love… : )

Posted by
97 posts

Thank you Susan.
MSM is definitely on the bucket list for family members who have not been, but we hold it for another visit as you suggest.

Posted by
237 posts

It looks like there are plenty of places to at least see MSM from afar even if you find the crowds intolerable for actually going onto the island.

We’re going next month and can’t wait to visit but have also researched locations to see it from afar.