Please sign in to post.

France -- Car Rental

Hi,

We are interested in renting a car for a tirp to the Loire Valley and Normandy in August. Can you recommend (or tell us companies to avoid) a rental agency (should we go through Hertz, Avis etc.)? We need an automatic. Thanks.

Posted by
6900 posts

All the big names are OK, as long as you record damage when you pick up and return the car.
Auto Europe is a good broker, convenient for comparing rates and seamless for booking.

Posted by
6509 posts

Here's Auto Europe. I've used them numerous times with never a problem. You can comparison shop among different companies. You prepay and get a voucher to present when you pick up the car. After you've made the reservation it may be worth checking the site again to see if the rate has gone down. Last year I did this and they refunded the excess I'd paid. I did need to call them about this, they are US-based.

Automatics cost more and may be less available in smaller cities, as perhaps you already know. Another thing to note is that rental offices may be closed on Sundays, Saturday afternoons, and during lunch hours, especially in smaller places. AE provides that information when you make your reservation.

Posted by
199 posts

We will be in Provence late May, and I rented a car at Nice airport with Hertz - I assumed it would be the safest for us as I have their app, gold member, etc.

Glenn

Posted by
237 posts

We are renting from Enterprise. You can reserve an automatic, and their drop off fee to a different location, but within France, is reasonable. But, we don't travel until next month, so it's all expectation at this point.

Posted by
6 posts

Are any of you guys renting a car for wine tasting on your own? (As opposed to going with a guide)
I've been debating about handling all my own logistics of visiting wineries, but wondering how much more complicated it is in France compared to the United States.

Posted by
640 posts

rebeccakmandell,
If you are driving a car when wine tasting, it might be best to have the driver be very judicious about how much tasting they do. The French are very serious about driving under the influence.

Posted by
565 posts

Where are you wanting to pickup and drop off? Your options may be limited in some places including ready availability of an automatic.

Posted by
30 posts

We rented a car from Auto Europe at the end of our stay in Paris & drove to the Loire Valley (which we loved!!). We had the car for two weeks and turned it in the day prior to flying out of CDG. That night we stayed at the Sheraton in CDG. All worked well. However, finding the office for the car rental company was very difficult. The office was on the second floor of a building across the street from the Gard de Lyon. There is a small sign on the outside of the building but no sign of direction in the building. Another couple and we looked all over and finally went up stairs to the second floor to find it. Auto Europe is a consolidator for several companies. We're going back in a couple of weeks and will be renting in Avignon from Hertz.