Please sign in to post.

France and Switzerland- 8 days in June 2023

Hello! I have a group of four travelers planning an 8 day trip to France and Switzerland. We are in the beginning stages. Probably 2 days in Switzerland and the rest in France. I think we will fly into Paris, spend time there, rent a car to travel to Switzerland (stopping a night or 2 along the way), spend 2 days in Switzerland, and drive back to fly out of Paris. Should we start in Switzerland? We definitely want to spend some time in Paris, Champagne, and Bern. We will visit museums, churches, and wineries. Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated!

Posted by
7840 posts

Forget driving from Paris to Switzerland and back
Fly into Zurich
Take the train to Bern
Stay 3 nights ( you can take day trips to the mountains the main tourist draw from Bern otherwise there ain't much that would take much time to do there; I stayed in Bern 3 nights this year)
Take the train to Paris
5 nights (here rent the car for a day trip to the Champagne area with a designated driver)

Posted by
2950 posts

Are you planning on flying in and out of Zurich and Paris? It costs a lot more to rent a car in one country and drop it off in another. It takes 6h to drive between Bern and Reims (champagne country) and I have no idea what the scenery is like. I don’t see stops along the way that are known for their “attractions” either.
I’ve been to Bern and was disappointed, I guess I was expecting more. I think you need to cut out Switzerland and stay in France since Paris needs six nights and if you add a day trip to Reims make it seven. Switzerland’s must-see attraction is the Berner Oberland and that’s when you would want to include Bern.

Posted by
1369 posts

In 2019 I flew Air France from San Francisco to Paris and connected to a flight to Zurich. Took the train to Lauterbrunnen Valley & spent 4 nights in Murren. Then a train to Lucerne for a night, just because I wanted to spend a day there to see certain sites. Then a train from Lucerne to Paris, where I spent a week at. I found it better and folks from this site recommended that I head straight to Switzerland, spend my time there and then head back to Paris since that was my departure city. For me & I agree with those that suggested it, to spend the beginning of the trip as my long travel day, then work my way back, instead of back and forth. You can do the same with your 2 days. However 2 days really only gives you 1 day to see the sites or site.
Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
133 posts

As others have said - avoid driving back and forth between Paris and Switzerland. You will use up a big portion of ur trip just driving.

Fly into Paris and fly out of say Zurich or even Milan.