Please sign in to post.

France

My husband and I (both 69 years old and in good health) are traveling to France in July. We will be staying in L'isle sur la Sorgue for a week exploring the area and hoping to see some great Lavender Fields.

We are flying into Paris arriving on Friday, July 20 at 7 am. We plan to be in L'isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday the 22nd. We are looking for suggestions for arrival day until the 22nd. We are not really into the crowds of the big cities and so our first thought was to avoid Paris. I know we will be tired from the overnight travel from the States so I am trying to figure out what we should do for those two nights. We thought about taking the train to Lyon and staying there and then renting a car from there. We do not necessarily have to stay in Lyon (have never been there) and we could get the car and go to a smaller town but... again I think we will be exhausted from the travel.

Looking for suggestions. Thank you.

Posted by
3122 posts

Your idea of avoiding Paris makes me go "oh, no!" but if you really are not interested in Paris, taking the train to Lyon is not a bad alternative. As you probably know, there's a TGV so you can get to Lyon in a short time.

If you're like me, you probably will be exhausted from travel and need some time to decompress. Lyon being a smaller city than Paris, you might find it more relaxing. Then you could get your rental car and drive down to L'isle sur la Sorgue on Sunday.

Posted by
2111 posts

It's a two hour train ride from CDG to Lyon. It would be doable if you want to push through. The train from CDG to Gare du Nord in Paris is 30 minutes.

Paris is such a magical place it's hard to recommend skipping it, though it will be pretty busy everywhere in Paris in July. It looks like you can take a train directly from CDG to Lyon. I think that may be your better option. You could then spend Friday afternoon and evening roaming Lyon and then Saturday seeing the sites.

By the looks of your previous posts, it looks like you are seasoned travelers and know your way around. It looks like you've been to Rome. I don't think Paris is quite as busy/crowded.

I hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
186 posts

Thank you both for your responses. We would consider staying in Paris for the short time if we could find a quiet neighborhood to stay. What are your thoughts on that?

Posted by
11156 posts

Have you been to Paris? It does not have that big city crowded feel to it. It is smaller than major US cities and does not have the same kind of urban setting. Stay in Paris, unless you have already been there and don't want to return.

Posted by
186 posts

Suki -

Haven't been to Paris since I was 12 years old. My husband has been but it has been many years. I just worry about the crowds. We went to London and after a couple of days of fighting the crowds there, I was ready to leave. Prefer the smaller towns but am open minded. Where would you suggest staying in Paris for two nights? We prefer nicer hotels - not the most expensive but good location and nice rooms - don't mind paying up for a room.

Posted by
3245 posts

Paris isn't that big of a deal to me either. BUT, the time I liked it best was when we stayed in the 10th Arr. at the Le Citizen Hotel, which overlooks the Canal St. Martin. The neighborhood feels like a neighborhood - not a tourist attraction. There are many good restaurants in the area. We enjoyed wandering through the Pere Lachaise cemetery. Got lost on the way back to the hotel and were rewarded with a great view of the Eiffel Tower.

The hotel emailed us before our stay to see if we wanted an early check-in. Since our flight was arriving at 0700, their offer was gladly accepted. Not surprisingly, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

http://lecitizenhotel.com/en/

Posted by
5581 posts

I also enjoy Paris and did not really expect to. I've never found it really busy but I travel in the fall.
If you are set on avoiding Paris, you could look into taking a train to Chartres, I believe it was about an hour trip. The cathedral is very beautiful and it is a pretty town, especially along the river. When I was there two years ago, there was a night time light show which was pretty. We also picked up a car in Chartres and proceeded on our trip.

Posted by
9420 posts

I adore Paris and can never get enough, but for you I’d recommend against. In July it will be hot and crowded. Chantilly is near CDG, I’d consider staying there. It’s a charming town, in a beautiful area with a wonderful chateau.

Posted by
189 posts

You'll enjoy sur la Sorgue. Be sure to catch the Sunday market. We were there for two weeks and found lots to do, hill top towns, lavendar fields, bull games, canoeing, dinners along the canals. Have fun.

Posted by
10189 posts

I like your original plan since your idea is to rest up, pick up a car on Sunday and drive to L’isle sur la Sorgue. I don’t see the sense of going into Paris and then still have to get to Provence and a rental car on Sunday. Why don’t you contact the airline and have them add a leg to Lyon onto your plane ticket as the final destination. Day one you recover, day two see Lyon, day three drive to Provence.