Please sign in to post.

France 8 Day Itinerary: Paris, Normandy, Loire, Burgundy?

all! First time posting on here. My husband and I are planning our first trip to France for next April. We will have 8 days / 8 nights. We definitely want a few days in Paris, but also hoping for some time in the country at a more relaxed pace (we are 30, love culture, food/wine, history & scenery!) Should we combine Paris-Normandy-Loire? Or what about Paris-Loire-Burgundy? Too far? It's really a toss up between Normandy/Loire/Burgundy and whether we want to do 3 locations or just limit it to Paris + one other location. Any advice much appreciated! Thank you!

Posted by
6509 posts

I'd urge you to pick just one area besides Paris. Your first day there will likely be jet-lagged. You'll spend part of another day getting to the other place, and part of another getting back. So you'll really have just five days when you can devote all day to sightseeing without having to move to or from somewhere. Any of your three candidates -- Normandy, Loire, and Burgundy -- would be a good choice, though as wine-lovers you might want to focus on the Loire or Burgundy, since Normandy isn't known for great wine. All three will provide great culture, food, history, and scenery.

Most people would land at CDG and go right into Paris for the first days of such a trip, then take a train to, for example, Dijon for Burgundy, Tours or Amboise for Loire, or Caen or Bayeux for Normandy. This makes your jet-lag day easier, but also forces you to return to Paris by the night before your flight home -- unless you're willing to risk missing it. Another scenario would take you out to your non-Paris destination the first day, so your jet lag and train logistics would all happen at the same time, and then you could finish your trip in Paris with less stress about making the flight home. Since this is your first trip to France, I'd suggest starting in Paris and keeping it simple till you're ready to branch out.

But, truly, my real recommendation would be to focus the whole trip on Paris, which has more than enough to keep you busy and happy for well beyond your eight days. For a glimpse of French countryside you might consider a day trip to Chartres or Giverny or some other nearby destination. There are one-day tours from Paris to the Normandy beaches, and others to a couple of Loire chateaux (and maybe others into Burgundy that I don't know of), but all would be very rushed. With so little time, I hope you'll consider putting off those beautiful regions till the next trip, hopefully a longer one.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks so much for your helpful reply Dick! I really wish we had more time, unfortunately my husband has limited vacation. I think I'll stick to Paris and one location (rather than two), at your suggestion. We live in midtown NYC so a few days of fresh air is definitely needed :) Thanks again

Posted by
383 posts

I'd suggest Paris and just one other location, otherwise you spend too much time shuttling around. With plenty of time before your trip you can watch the RS PBS videos on this website, there are other travel videos you can get from the library or stream online. You can also read thru the RS books and other guide books. Use what you learn to pick either either the Loire or Burgundy as the 2nd destination.

Dick gave 2 options, but let me suggest a 3rd. This option is spend the 1st day walking around Paris, sleep in Paris that nite, then head out to your 2nd destination the next morning. Return to Paris for the last few days of your trip. This gets you close to CDG for the return flight and also makes it certain you will catch the train out at the time of your choosing rather than hoping your flight isn't delayed if you try to fly in and take the train.

Posted by
8059 posts

8 days is perfect for Paris. If you want another setting then pick one -- seriously, don't even think of more than that. And I would recommend doing it on the front end. E.g. head to the Loire, or Burgundy or Normandy on arrival at CDG -- give plenty of time between landing and the train -- at least 4 hours, but get to your furthest point. That first jet lagged day is largely wasted anyway and hotels aren't read early in the morning. so head on. You could train to Dijon and pick up a car the next morning or to Tours and likewise, or to Caen. Then spend 3 nights in your chosen area. That gives you two full days, plenty for the Loire, less so for the other two locations but you can still be selective and do wonderful things there.

Then return to Paris for the final 5 nights and you are there for the flight home without wasting a day by having to rush back the day before your flight. Four full days in Paris is a nice intro to the city and you can by being selective do a lot and also stop and sip the coffee and stroll the charming streets.

Another option is to spend it all in Paris and plan 2 or 3 day trips to the countryside: here are just a few examples:
https://janettravels.wordpress.com/category/day-trips-from-paris/
There are lots of other options. Auvers sur Oise where Van Gogh lived his last days is a great day trip. Rouen is a small city quite different from Paris. So many options.

Posted by
7306 posts

Some destinations, like the ones you name, are most easily seen by car. There are many past posts (Search box top center) her about tour guides with vehicles in Normandy. But you might want to consider whether "U.S. World War II History" is your objective (as it is with many of those posters) or whether you are more interested in a broader view of "Normandy."

When we first started to travel in Europe, we concentrated on major cities and never rented a car. So (for example) we used a train to see Giverny from Paris and the RER to see Versailles from Paris. There are a few other day-trips you can make, like Chartres. But Loire Chateaux or Burgundy wineries (appointments necessary) are relatively hard to do without a car. (Yes, there are tour guides who cater to those afraid to rent, or too young, or unable to drive a standard transmission ... )

When you talk about countryside and fresh air, you are, in effect, talking about a car. I just wanted to point out that there are lots of interesting things to see without a car. (For example, when we went to Giverny in 1989, we rented bicycles to get to Monet's garden from the train station. I encourage you to go to the library and look at our host's (Rick Steves) book on France. It's great for first-time visitors.

Posted by
267 posts

Since you will be dealing with jet lag for a day or two, you’ll feel less rushed if you focus on one location outside of Paris and spend several days in Paris. For history, scenery, culture, and food, Normandy has some great choices. I spent a few nights in Bayeux and used it as a base to tour the D-Day battlefields and museums. It’s also a beautiful town to walk around with a fine cathedral. The Bayeux tapestry exhibit is excellent as well.

I’m not a wine connoisseur, so I can’t help you with that part.

I had just over a week in France last summer, taking the train from London to Paris, than a train to Rouen where I spent one night before I rented a car, 2 nights in Bayeux, and 1 night in Mont. St. Michael before driving back to Rouen to return the car and take the train back to Paris where I spent 5 nights.

The pace of the trip felt good and I could have easily spent more time in Paris and Bayeux. Returning the rental car to Rouen was difficult because the one way streets made finding the station tricky (I didn't have GPS).

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. We are definitely open to renting a car (outside of Paris). Bill G- I am liking your suggested itinerary of staying the first night in Paris, moving on, then spending the last few days back in Paris. I will try to post back once we've finalized our trip! Thanks again

Posted by
7175 posts

If museums are not a huge attraction for your time in Paris, then 4 nights would be enough. Alsace and Burgundy are easy together and would make a nice contrast.

Days 1-4 Paris (4nts)
Day 5 to Strasbourg (2nts)
Day 6 day trip to Colmar
Day 7 to Dijon (1nt)
Day 8 day trip to Beaune, then return to Paris (1nt)
Day 9 depart from Paris

Posted by
1819 posts

Assuming you are willing to rent a car, you could spend three days like this:

Land CDG, get car, drive to Giverney (Monet's Garden). Over night in that area We stayed in Les Andeleys at a very French hotel located right on a bend of the Seine. There's a large Richard the Lion Hearted castle there.

Next day, drive to Rouen for a mid-day stop to admire the cathedral that Monet painted so often and eat lunch nearby. Then continue on to Honfleur for two nights.

Your full day in Honfleur you could explore the town or drive to nearby sites. There are lots of ruined abbeys in the area.

Day four, head back to Paris, stopping at Versailles enroute if it pleases you. Total distance for the entire loop is just under 300 miles.

Posted by
9 posts

My wife and I took a similar trip in August 2015. Second trip to France and Paris. First trip included significant time in Brittany including St. Malo and Mt. St. Michelle and Loire before four nights in Paris.

Last trip rented an apartment in Paris and went to Normandy for two days-one night in the middle of our Paris stay. Early train to Caen, easy car rental across the street from Caen train station and two power days in Normandy. Hit many of the high points (D-day beaches, Bayeaux Tapestry, Caen D-day Museum) and late train back to Paris.

Next trip (2017) will include return to Normandy (lots still to see),east (Reims) and northeast. Can't wait.

Posted by
151 posts

Three areas besides Paris in just 8 days is a bit too ambitious, it's probably better to choose between the East part of France (Burgundy, Champagne...) or the West (it's possible to combine Normandy, Brittany and Pays de Loire, but ideally with more than 8 days).

Posted by
7175 posts

There is a lot to be said for spending all 8 nights (7 full days) in Paris, and making 3 or 4 day excursions.
1. Versailles
2. Giverny & Rouen
3. Chartres
4. Reims