Please sign in to post.

France 2015 (Normandy and Paris) Trip Details

In hopes of assisting others, I thought I would compile a list of some of the details of our trip. We had a 9 day trip to France, not counting travel days, visiting the Normandy region and Paris. I will make a separate entry for our actual trip report and stories.

Transportation

1. We decided to take advice of others and pick up our rental car in Caen. We used the RER and metro to get from Charles De Gaulle to the St. Lazare train station. We found the Paris by Train (http://parisbytrain.com/paris-airport-terminal-2-train-photo-tour/) website incredibly helpful for spelling out the process.

2. We used Capitaine Train to pre-book our train tickets to Caen, which worked well and saved us money.

3. Rental car - we rented through Europcar and opted for full insurance. We still had a 100€ deposit charged to our card for any incidentals. I'll be watching our credit card statement to make sure it gets applied back. We dropped our car at the Porte de Saint Cloud location in Paris. It was an easy drive into Paris and right off the Peripherique. You have to think quick and pull into the curved portion of the building immediately to the right as you exit. It's also a gas station so it is a little confusing, especially due to the lack of good signage. We missed the turn-in on the first try and had to drive on the busy streets of Paris for a second shot. It was a little nerve-wracking but we survived. We taxied to our hotel instead of taking the metro. It only cost around 24€ and we thought it was well worth it for the convenience.

Gear

1. GPS - Garmin Nuvi 2559LMT. The maps were mostly up-to-date and we only ran into a few locations that it wasn't current. It's still good to have a paper copy but the GPS was so convenient. It alerted you to speed limits, which was handy as well.

2. Luggage - my old carry-on was shot from several trips over the years and being treated roughly. I bought an Eagle Creek Tarmac 22 and also used the pack-it cubes. I absolutely love this new bag; the storage is great and the pocket locations are well thought out. The jacket holder was especially convenient. First time for traveling carry-on only and it worked like a dream.

3. Personal storage - I carried both a very small cross-body purse and a small backpack when I needed it. The purse was perfect for cash and metro tickets, cellphone, etc. The backpack was good for guidebooks, water bottles, etc. I kept a combination lock on the backpack for security. No problems. Much easier on my back than the large, heavy cross-body purse I carried in Ireland. And more flexible for options as I needed them, especially for carrying souvenirs on our last day in Paris.

Lodging

1. Bayeux - Hotel Particulier Poppa. Absolutely lovely decor and breakfast with very gracious proprietors. We stayed in the smallest room which was an absolute bargain at 90€ a night. The bed was very comfortable and the rain-style shower was refreshing. Easy walk to everything we needed in town, and public parking in the street since it's adjacent to the park. Can't recommend it highly enough.

2. Honfleur - Le Fond de la Cour. We found this accommodation less than satisfying. I think this was mostly due to the fact the owner was not there (which we did not know would be the case until about a week or so before our trip). Most of our disappointments stemmed from communication problems. I'm guessing this B&B would be fine if the owner was present during your stay.

3. Paris - Hotel Atmospheres. This place was fantastic. We chose a classic room (queen bed). Sound-proofed and modern. Even had a mini-fridge. Again, a very comfortable bed. Ample European breakfast. Great location in the Latin Quarter and easy walking distance to pretty much everything. And close to the RER C station.

Posted by
676 posts

Apps

1. We used Ulmon City Maps 2 Go for walking around Paris. You simply download the Paris map and it works offline. Before you leave, you can save several locations (museums, restaurants, etc) so you'll know where things are. It also shows the metro stops, public toilets, etc around town. You can search for either addresses or location names while offline and it finds most of them. Fantastic app.

2. We used the Louvre's museum app to do their "highlights" tour. It not only tells you about the art you are looking at, it gives you pictures and verbal instructions of where to walk through the museum to keep you from getting lost. Another great app! I believe some of the other museums have apps, so those could be worth looking into.

3. I used Day One on my iPad for journaling. I'm using it on a day-to-day normal life basis, too. Love it as well.

4. We didn't personally use this app, but I believe there is an app for Jumieges Abbey. There was a couple with a guide and the guide had an app, I think. She hovered her iPad over the building's imagery and it would show what the Abbey used to look like before its destruction. Very cool!

5. Google translate. Download the entire language package. You can turn the camera portion on and it will "read" text back to you in English (or chosen language). Menus, signs, etc. Very, very handy.

Tours

1. Sean Claxton (Normandy Insight Tours) - we hired Sean for a full day's tour of the Normandy sights. He is very knowledgeable and presents the information in a personable way. Great guide who made our day. We drove our rental car and drove where he told us to go. He was telling stories and giving us information the entire day, both at the sights and in the car. Highly recommend his services.

2. Paris by Martin - we signed up for an evening group tour with Martin. I think his tours are fantastic for first-time travelers to get acquainted with Paris and find some things off the beaten path. He has an entire list of "secret" places for food, etc that he sends his clients after the tour. I would have found the list much more helpful before the trip, but that's not how it works. If you are an experienced traveler, you may still find it interesting, but probably not as beneficial. Or, if you are a more detailed planner, you may already know much of what he share with you since you've done your research.

3. City Wonders Notre Dame / Ile de la Cite tour. Nicely done and informative. We enjoyed this tour. The skip-the-line access for the tower climb was completely worth it.

4. Versailles Private Apartment of the Kings tour. In my opinion, this is the only way to see Versailles. The tour is very affordable and you get to visit some incredibly interesting rooms with a very small number of people. At the end, they let you out to see the main rooms in Versailles with the rest of the throngs. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted by
9567 posts

Wow, it sounds like you really had a great time (B&B in Honfleur aside, and it appears you decided not to let that get to you). It's very thoughtful of you to put this level of detail for others to learn from.

Posted by
6501 posts

Yes, thanks for this. You clearly made some good decisions about logistics. I can relate to your adventure finding the rental return off the Peripherique. Hope you'll return to Europe for more adventures soon! :-)

Posted by
149 posts

Julie - Thanks so much for this great post! Especially the App section. Lots of things to check into for our trip next Spring, which includes Paris and Normandy.

I see you rented a car in Caen but returned in Paris. We are thinking of renting in Caen as well but returning it there and taking the train back. What did you think of the drive back to Paris? Interesting? Just curious!

Thanks again. Glad you had a great trip!

Posted by
676 posts

I should also note that we did not have a problem using our chip and pin card at the toll booths on the highways. We have a Barclay Arrival Plus card and it worked fine. Thank goodness! Some of the tolls we went through did not have a cash option.

Kim, we did have a wonderful time. I was't sure what to expect but we truly loved our time there. Yes, I tried really hard to let go of my frustrations with the B&B in Honfleur. That particular day happened to be my birthday and I just wanted to have a good time, so I tried not to focus on any of the negatives.

Dick, I can't wait to get back to Europe! Not sure where we will go next. Probably wherever the next cheap flight is to one of our top choices. :)

akhoosier, glad you found this helpful! The drive back to Paris was easy. En route, we stopped at Jumieges Abbey which we really enjoyed. I love ruins though. I would have also chosen to stop at Chateau Gaillard but it was closed the day we were driving. Just as well because it allowed us to get into Paris earlier. If you don't have anything in particular that you want to see, I think that dropping the rental back off in Caen would also work really well.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for this helpful info. When we return from our trip in March, I will return the favor by sharing our trip details.

Posted by
776 posts

Thank you so much. We just got that same GPS so looking forward to trying it out next week.

How did you find driving in Normandy? Any problems? How was parking availability? Any places you were surprised you loved so much? Any you thought you would love but not so much once you got there?

Posted by
676 posts

Driving in France was a pleasure. Everyone is very courteous and follows the rules of the road. It seemed much more efficient than our roads here in the Midwest. We didn't have any issues with parking.

I absolutely loved Chateau de Pirou. I was hoping it would live up to my expectations and it did. Longues sur Mer was not on our itinerary but we visited per recommendation of our guide and we very much enjoyed that stop. I can't say that we were disappointed with any of the sights...France by car offers so much...seemed like there was a place to stop every 15 minutes! I may be exaggerating, but there is more than I expected in Normandy. You can easily spend a lot of time there exploring. It was cloudy the entire time we were in Honfleur, so we missed the brilliant light that everyone speaks of. It was still a neat place to visit.

I had started writing my actual trip report. I suppose I better get around to finishing it. :)