Please sign in to post.

France

Good morning. I am looking for a base city to stay a few days in the Loire Valley. We will have a car. Thank you.

Posted by
6900 posts

Another vote for Chenonceaux ! The Auberge du bon Laboureur is an excellent hotel if within your budget (price varies wildly according to season).

Posted by
2952 posts

Amboise and order the French onion soup at the Restaurant Anne de Bretagne.

Posted by
9420 posts

Another vote for Amboise. Charming town on the Loire River with a chateau, Leonardo da Vinci’s house, very walkable, many restaurant choices, laundromat, shops. Very easy to drive in and out and very convenient for visiting other towns and chateaux.
Love the very small town of Chenonceaux (and the Chateau de Chenonceau is my favorite), for a quaint village experience it’s perfect.

Posted by
7850 posts

I stayed in Blois there is castle there less tourists than Amboise still easy to get around

Posted by
9420 posts

Blois is a city, if that’s what you’re looking for. A very nice city. Charming towns or villages are my preference in the Loire Valley.

Posted by
51 posts

Amboise is a good "central" location to the chateaux. Consider Le Clos d'Amboise for hotel. They have their own parking lot.

Posted by
186 posts

Thank you for all the great comments about the Moore valley. We are going to base in amboise and visit 4 chateaus. The input from the forum was very helpful.