Please sign in to post.

Fountains at Versailles

We are visiting Versailles on a Monday, when the Palace and other buildings are closed. Does anyone know if the fountains will be on? The Versailles website notes that the gardens and park are open everyday, and the dates of the special musical fountain shows are provided, but I couldn't find mention of whether the fountains are on for other days. Thanks!

Posted by
3391 posts

The fountains are only turned on during special ticketed events that are found on this webpage.
They only run on weekends.

Posted by
39 posts

Thank you, Anita. I suspected that, but it wasn't totally clear whether the musical/lighted fountain events were the only time the fountains were in use. I was hoping that perhaps there was water spouting on other days. :-)

Posted by
393 posts

We visited them 1.5 years ago. Not all are run. They were playing music and did a 10 (?) minute program. Very modern shooting of water as opposed to what I'd expect back in it's hay-day.
Our museum pass got us into the palace but didn't get us into the garden. I think during normal times the pass would get us into the garden but not on these special music/water days.

Posted by
10344 posts

Don't expect a Bellagio-type (as in Las Vegas) water fountain light & sound show.
It's different, but good.
The historical setting and crowd reaction makes up for lack of sound & light technology.
I guess no matter how much money the Roi Soleil had, he just didn't have Vegas-style sound & light technology. But it will still good to be king.
We kept our eye out for Count de Monnay but didn't see him.

Posted by
228 posts

We happened to be there when the fountains were turned on. It's a different kind of entertainment from what most Americans anticipate. No Orlando/Vegas here, but very nice. Our biggest smiles did not come from the water and music, but from the toddlers around us who were dancing and playing while their parents kicked their feet up for half an hour.