Please sign in to post.

Foodie Tours

Can anyone recommend a foodie tour in Paris? Thanks!

Posted by
1025 posts

I read this post earlier and wasn't going to respond, because I have never felt the need or inclination to hire a tour guide to show me where to eat. However, since it has been a couple of hours and I still don't see any replies, I thought you would appreciate some basic info.

You may be aware that Paris is not really famous for any particular cuisine, but rather draws from all the regions of France for its gastronomic pleasures. The best haute cuisine seems to come from (and exist in) Lyon. Marseille is the epicenter of bouillabaisse and other related seafood delicacies, and the Languedoc is home to cassoulet and foie gras and other ducky things. Because of this, the general belief is that most of the time you are sampling French dishes in Paris, you are eating substandard versions of the regional favorites.

This said, there are a number of websites that may be of use in helping you select restaurants that offer a unique and satisfying experience.

David Liebovitz has a great list of his favorite restaurants here: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/paris/

Paris by Mouth has a number of recommended restaurants https://parisbymouth.com/

Likewise, Hipsters in Paris has dining recommendations, and has a helpful guide so you can seek your restaurants by location: https://parisbymouth.com/

I note that there are a number of eating tours listed in TripAdvisor, but I tend to think that they are merely sampler type excursions, and the prices are too low to give anything other than a quick overview; in other words, they are generally tasting tours.

I have never been disappointed after using the resources above. Good luck and bon appetite!

Posted by
100 posts

Definitely take one of the Paris by Mouth tours. We (older couple but dedicated foodies) have taken three and are planning a forth this autumn. You will visit an artisanal baker, cheese shop, butcher, chocolatier and wine shop and munch n you collection in the latter. And their restaurant suggestions are much easier to navigate than the Michelin red guide. If you try on line, you can get a table at Frenchies about 4 weeks in advance.

Posted by
2466 posts

Better hurry - those ParisByMouth tours book up really fast!!!
They are educational, the vendors know the guides by heart, and you will have to choose between chocoloate, wine and cheese.

At the end, you'll get to enjoy the generous samples.

Posted by
4367 posts

Our college daughter still talks about how much she enjoyed the Secret Food Tours we took summer of 2015.

Posted by
2466 posts

For the price of 69 USD, I think your money would be better spent by the professionals at ParisByMouth.
The Secret Food Tour company doesn't look too professional...

Posted by
118 posts

We enjoyed a wonderful food tour in Paris with Localers tour company. They were fantastic and their 1/2 day walking tour of Paris (with Ana) was just amazing. They are a small tour company with very small group tours - and well worth the price.