Please sign in to post.

Food in Paris?! Recommendations please

I will be traveling to Paris in August, I have my hotel booked and my sightseeing all planned but I am looking for any recommendations for restaurants, pastry shops, cafes, etc. (anything from reasonably priced eats to nicer places).

If you have been there recently, please let me know of any recommendations for Paris eats that you may have!

Posted by
9 posts

We are right by the Luxembourg Gardens in the 6th but would like suggestions for all over the city - ones that stood out to people.

Posted by
782 posts

Restaurants near Luxembourg Gardens that I have eaten at and recommend La Bastide Odean,La Bistrot D'Henri,Chez Fernand,all in the sixth.
Mike

Posted by
2466 posts

ParisByMouth and BibMichelin are good internet resources.
They will also tell you which restaurants will be closed in July or August.
They will also give you a list of good restaurants listed by arrondissement.
Other than that, you are just asking for someone else's subjective opinion, which may or may not mean much to you.

Posted by
91 posts

You're welcome...

I was in Paris recently and have two suggestions.

1. Au Petit Suisse, 16 rue de Vaugirard. It is in the 6th. The staff is really professional and welcoming. I definitely will return. It is across the street from Luxembourg Gardens. I want to say it is near the Senate Building, but don't hold me to it. Please do order their Croque Monsieur with a glass of wine. It was the perfect late lunch/early dinner, with a small simple salad...so, so yummy. I also ordered their steak and frites, but had less luck with this item. Prices are very good.

2. Huguette Bistro de La Mar, 81 rue de Seine. It is in the 6th, (in the St. Germain area?). A saleslady recommended this place. It is a seafood place. Prices are good. You may need a reservation; they do fill up. Half of this restaurant is a seafood market. My food was very good, but I do regret not ordering a fish dinner based on the fresh fish that I saw in their market.

Enjoy.

Posted by
380 posts

I agree with chexbres. You should look at ParisByMouth. That website will give you the best restaurants, chocolate stores, bakeries, etc. It will have all the information you are seeking.
We had dinner near our hotel in a tiny restaurant run by a husband (the cook) and wife (the wait staff) team that ParisByMouth designated as Local Favorite. Great meal and not expensive. We were the only non-French speaking table in the room.

Posted by
4044 posts

Plug your hotel address into Google Maps, hit the Nearby function and then Restaurants. No guarantee of qualitiy with the results but at least you will know what's around you and can do further research.

Posted by
2261 posts

For us the point of asking random people is to get a lead, a recommendation. If I tell you that we enjoyed Le Pantruche and it's sister Caillebotte (we did), you can then look them up and see if reviews spark your interest. Either way it's a "review", and either way can be useful imho.

Posted by
2466 posts

Or, you can look at the photos on TripAdvisor and decide for yourself.
TheFork allows you to make reservations online, but if you choose the discounted menu, you have to eat and drink what they give you for the price. You can opt to avoid the discounted menu, though.

Posted by
11322 posts

Le Comptoir du Relais in Saint-Germaine is far from a hidden gem, but a gem it is. Not Michelin but no Michelin prices either.

Le Cave Gourmand in Montmartre for the best Boeuf Bourguignon I've ever had. We've eaten there three times in four trips to Paris. The goat cheese salad is also excellent and shareable.

Les Papilles near Luxembourg Gardens. Set menu at dinner: you eat what they are cooking and it was, for us, fabulous.

Cafe Constant in the 7th. Hip young crowd but we went there anyway. For Paris, not bad prices. You will have to wait for a table.

Posted by
187 posts

I was there last week. I can highly recommend two places in the Marais:
1. Au Fil du Saisons
2. Au Bascou, also in the Marais (Basque food! Amazing. Locals more than tourists here)

Posted by
2030 posts

Hi Laurel,
About Cafe Constant -- yes lots of hip young people there, but in all the times I have been there there has been a
healthy sprinkling of us older folks too!
Enjoy!

Posted by
808 posts

We loved our meal at Le P'tit Troquet! Very small bistro, family owned, great food and fabulous service. Would suggest that you make a reservation if it looks like a place that you would enjoy. On the flip side, we had a miserable evening at Pottoka. Overpriced with a staff that was beyond rude.

Posted by
80 posts

Casa Bini in the 6th. Reed in the 7th...Chef Catherine Reed also hosts a cooking class which my wife and daughter attended and had a great time and lunch!