Please sign in to post.

Fontainebleau

There is a wonderful piece in today's NY Times for all interested . Give it a look ! I am unsure how to link this from my tablet , writing from Seville .

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks for posting about it. We were supposed to go to Fontainbleau this past May while in Paris. The transit strike was going on but I misread the train timetable the night before and thought all the trains had been cancelled so we did not go.

Posted by
2030 posts

Only problem I have with the NY Times article is it seems to imply you can walk to the Chateau from the Fountainbleau train station -- you can, but it is quite a long walk. I don't recommend it prior to all the walking you will do at the Chateau. Take the bus. Coming from Paris, the train will let you off near a large parking lot where a lot of buses await. It's easy to find the one going to the chateau.

Posted by
4137 posts

Dawn , thanks for the link ! BG , absolutely , we took the bus over to the chateau , it would have been quite a hike otherwise .

Posted by
14481 posts

Hi,

Fontainebleau is well worth your time, one of my absolute favorite places in France, have visited it several times. After seeing the chateau you can go to the Napoleon Museum, ca 20 min walk or so. The distance from the train station to the chateau on foot is ca. 45 mins. I take the bus to the chateau but on occasion I have walked back, easier that way than walking to the chateau. Then other times I took the bus back. The bus going to the chateau stops in front of the Tourist Office, very handy.