Please sign in to post.

Flooding in Paris....

Hi all,

Currently planning our Paris trip in May. The flooding should be gone by then right? We are starting to book lodging, are there areas we should avoid due to potential water damage?

Thanks,
Gina

Posted by
776 posts

There has not been any flooding in Paris. The Seine is especially high and is draining slowly because of saturated ground downstream. There are numerous threads on this forum concerning difficulties this high water on the Seine has caused. Check 'em out.

Posted by
3695 posts

The pictures that you are seeing of street flooding are of the Paris region. The river is below grade in the city. You walk downstairs or ramps to get to the river from city streets. It's one of the reasons why I don't love the river cruises because they feel a little like being in a ditch. When there is "flooding" in paris the walkways nearest to the river are flooded and one train line of several that runs near the river is closed. Right now the river cruises are not going because there is not enough clearance under the bridges and the RER C line is closed in certain places. There are at least three other threads on this topic on this board right now. If you take a look at them, the responses there may give you some additional comfort.

Posted by
2466 posts

There is no flooding in the streets of Paris. Lots of snow, though.
Might be gone by May, if the Spring floods go on...

Posted by
1369 posts

I was in Paris in May/June 2016 and the weather report was to be lower 70s with clear to partly cloudy skies. About 4 days out that all changed to the 60s, cloudy, some rain and misty days. The thing is most of the rain was outside of Paris proper and of course the water was coming through the Seine in Paris. Flooding did occur which caused the river cruises to be shut down, Metro stations closed from flooding & some of the museums closing to prep their ground and lower levels. I guess there is no guarantee on what can be expected.

Posted by
44 posts

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the replies and clarification on the situation in Paris! Much appreciated! :-)

Gina