Please sign in to post.

Flight Connections

At present our May 2023 flight to Venice connects in CDG. Recently the layover changed from 95 minutes to a 70 min layover and CDG website says that this is ok from terminal E to F. IF we miss our connection in CDG there are more flights to Venice later that day, BUT if those flights are full we would be stuck there another day. WE could change flights and connect state side in Atlanta or JFK and then go direct to Venice, but if something happens with those flights we have no option other than to go the next day. Pros Cons on keeping our current flight through CDG or re-booking and connecting stateside? We have never flown through CDG previously, we do however fly periodically.

Posted by
5076 posts

When is this? If it's around the Olympics next summer, I wouldn't want to be near that airport. However, if your flight is still six months out, flight times could all change again, and you could be back to your original 95 minutes.
Generally, I favor wanting to get to Europe, because there are so many options once I'm on the continent. (Trains, anyone?) Do you have any other airports you can connect thru, or maybe fly to Milan instead of Venice?
Good luck amid all this airline chaos. Safe travels!

Posted by
8220 posts

Since we lived in ATL many years, we just feel more comfortable making connections there when given the option. I love Delta Airlines' overseas flights, but we refuse to connect thru JFK--due to past issues.

And our flights into and out of CDG have not been our favorites either.

Posted by
11411 posts

our departure is in May of 2023.

You have a modified DeLorean?

Happy New Year

Posted by
1685 posts

LOL Joe32F. I was going to say, "Too late. You missed the flight."

Is it possible to change to a later flight from CDG to Venice now?

Posted by
10318 posts

You will be at the top of the list for a seat on the next plane even if all flights for the day are full, which is unlikely except for a major holiday.

Posted by
2580 posts

You will be at the top of the list for a seat on the next plane

You will be at the top of the standby list for a seat on the next plane, or the next available flight. Air carriers will not displace a confirmed passenger to accommodate misconnected passengers from an earlier flight.

I agree with Dave 2023 that 70 minutes is very tight for a CDG connection, particularly one requiring security/passport control. However, if he does misconnect, the aircarrier will be responsible for any cost associated with the misconnect, i.e. meals, hotels.

There is no way to know in advance which option is preferable, connecting in ATL, JFK, or CDG. Generally, I prefer to avoid connections after an all-night transatlantic flight.

Posted by
2360 posts

I would not be comfortable with that tight of a connection at CDG coming from the US. You need to go through passport control before getting to your gate, and your connecting flight could be very far away. CDG is HUGE. It took us almost 2 hours to connect there on our way to Spain a few years ago.

Posted by
8187 posts

We had a situation like this returning from Berlin last spring. We were nervous with 90 minutes but then Delta changed the flight connection to 70. When I looked at the on time record of the Berlin CDG flight it was late half the time and we would often have missed the connection. So I asked Delta to change the connection and they did booking us through Amsterdam which is an easier airport for connections and even so it felt tight, but worked fine.

I would not do 70 minutes at CDG (although US flights are often a bit early). If you do, you need to go on line and map out precisely what you need to do to make this connection; there are web sites that walk you through it -- so you can know exactly what to do. I believe this transfer can be done on foot (some Terminal 2 gates are accessible by shuttle). You will go through passport control with others who are transferring -- you stay airside and go through a passport control only for other transferring passengers designed to expedite. Absolutely don't follow other passengers out to immigration or you miss your flight. The transfer signs are yellow and obvious and it is all fairly well signed so you keep looking for signs that take you to Terminal F. The magic word is 'Correspondence' -- you are looking for the Correspondence path not the exit/sortie path. 70 minutes is enough if everything is going smoothly but it would make me nervous.

If you can do the Atlanta transfer I would -- Airlines will sometimes do such adjustments for free when they make the time changes. If they don't you can chance the CDG transfer and keep fingers crossed.

Posted by
5020 posts

I would not be at all comfortable with only a 70 min. connection at CDG. See if the airline can change you to another flight that gives you more time. If not, then just go and hope for the best. At least you'll be a lot closer to Venice than you'll be if you miss a connection in the U.S. If you must make a connection in the U.S., Atlanta is much better than JFK.

Posted by
14179 posts

Another voice to the chorus that 70 minutes is not something I would do.

I transited Oct 2022 thru CDG to Milan on a Delta/Air France flight. I timed my interval from stepping off the plane in 2E to the gate at 2F and it took me 65 minutes with no stops. I did not run, walked moderately quickly, I did not make a comfort stop until after I arrived at the gate. I kind of knew where I was going. I hit 2F security with about a 15 minute wait and hit 2F Immigration with zero wait...literally I walked right up to the e-kiosk.

I had 3h30m but was timing my transit for a couple from our local RS meet up who also had 70 minutes to transit. They changed their flights.

BTW, the last 3 or 4 times I've landed at CDG the flight from Seattle has landed at one of the tarmac stands so you have to wait until they roll up the outside stairs, deplane, load onto a shuttle and get bused to the 2E immigration area. This is also where you follow the overhead signs for transit to 2F. I have no idea where the flights from ATL usually land.

Since the airline changed the times you can ask to be put on a later flight out of CDG without charge to you.

IF you do decide to go forward with this...have yourselves prepared for CDG transit security at 2F. Have all your liquids in a quart ziplock bag even if you are not carrying on (this includes things in your personal item/purses). They will make you use a ziplock if you have your liquids in any other kind of clear plastic bag (there are some sold as being TSA compliant and the CDG folks go with ziplocks). Have your belts off and stowed. Have everything ready for you to move thru quickly.

Posted by
134 posts

Had a transfer at Paris CDG a month ago. In addition to size, CDG security simply isn't the most efficient, compared with say Heathrow.

Their machines seemed to flag the majority of bags for a second scan, but they all turned out to be false positives.

I suppose arrival at Venice isn't time critical. With insurance coverage or even coverage by airlines, getting stranded for a day at Paris isn't the end of the world. Either would have to cover your meals. However, the culinary options in the non Schengen area are far from impressive... Countering the positive stereotype.