Please sign in to post.

First timers to Paris in Sept 2016

We are planning to spend 3 days/4 nights in Paris before heading to Provence. We plan on visiting the typical "first timers attractions". RS recommends staying in the Rue Cler district. Do you agree?

Posted by
2261 posts

In a word, no. Personally I feel that the 4th, 5th or 6th Arrondissements are better choices for first timers, in particular with limited time. Rue Cler is fine but in the 4-5-6 you'll be in the heart of what most people want to see.

Posted by
1059 posts

I have been to Paris on three occasions and have stayed in 4 different locations. The last time in Paris, we did stay on Rue Cler. I did like staying on Rue Cler even though there were lots of tourists, most carrying a Rick Steves book. There were plenty of places to eat and numerous small markets to get fresh fruit. Most of all, I liked being near the Eiffel Tower. After a long day of sightseeing, it was fun to go over to the park next to the tower and people watch and enjoy the lights on the tower. Also, since Rue Cler was so close to the Eiffel Tower, I was able to walk over there and check the lines. I was able to go up the tower at 6:30 pm and only waited about 15 minutes. A storm was approaching, so I think that scared most of the tourists away. It was one of the highlights of our trip to watch a lightening storm from the Eiffel Tower. The wind was blowing from the west so we got on the east side of the tower and never got wet as the tower protected us from the rain. I strongly recommend that you go up before sunset and watch the lights of Paris come on.

Posted by
15 posts

Wow, you guys are are quick on the draw! Do you have any recommendations for a hotel in 4-5-6? I do not need a 5 star nor do I want a 2 star place. Thanks

Posted by
2261 posts

Budget per night, in Euro's?

Posted by
15 posts

I would like to spend no more than 175 Euros per night. Is this realistic?

Posted by
2261 posts

woinparis, thanks for posting-this thread and others. It's always interesting to see what a local suggests for hotel, as compared to the same old list we here in the States normally come up with.

Posted by
2261 posts

"we like the 'normal' people. ;-)"

Haha, +10!

Posted by
2130 posts

Hi Ann, we've stayed at the Hotel Empereur in the 7th the last few years and liked the hotel and the area very much. I would make reservations as soon as you can. September is a very busy month in Paris!

Posted by
6509 posts

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the 5th, uphill from the river, close to many sights, restaurants, and the rue Mouffetard street market. Just one of many good choices.

Nothing wrong with rue Cler but it has been sorta beaten to death by RS fans, and not as central to sights other than the tower.

Thank you, woionparis, for sharing your knowedge of the city. As a frequent European visitor you can contribute a lot to this forum. After awhile you will be able to tell who is "normal" and who is not on these pages! ;-)

Posted by
10225 posts

I agree with the advice to stay in the 4th, 5th or 6th, as close to the river as possible. It is the most central area and you can get to many locations on foot. We stayed by the corner of rue Cler and rue du Champ de Mars at Hotel du Cadranon my first visit. While I agree that it was nice to see the Eiffel Tower daily, I found the area to be too far from most of the sites first time visitors see. My next two visits we stayed in apartments in the 5th. I much preferred staying in the Latin Quarter. Our last visit we stayed in an apartment in the 12th, near the river and the border of the 4th. The location was fine for us, as we had already spent almost a month in Paris. In November we will be in a hotel in the 7th. Why? We got a killer deal.

The more you can walk to places the more you see.

Posted by
1175 posts

Rue Cler is swamped by tourists, thanks to Rick Steves, and the shops, restaurants, and bistros reflect the Americans from Seattle tastes. You'd be better served in the 4th-6th arrondissments near the Seine and Notre Dame where you can walk to most of the sights. Hotel Marignan is a favorite for not much money. Book early since September is a busy month in Paris. it's easier to take the metro to the Eiffel Tower or a Seine cruise from near ND to see the ET light up at night. We always do a picnic, complete with wine used discretely, at the ET. Great fun. Send me a PM and I can help you find other bargain hotels near ND. Tell me your budget and time of the year in Paris.

Posted by
8059 posts

Rue Cler is nothing special, it isn't even among the more attractive market streets. And the location for such a very short first trip is not good IMHO. You want to be in the center near the river on a first trip not out by the Eiffel Tower. I would book in the 4th, 5th or 6th near the river. Our favorite although it is often booked up is Henri IV Rive Gauche. It is near the river, near good public transport, and near Notre Dame and around the corner from Shakespeare and Company. Pretty little boutique hotel and front rooms overlook a lovely old church. But there are hundreds of hotels in the areas suggested. I love walking around Notre Dame at night and if you take a Seine Cruise, there is one convenient at Pont Neuf.

Posted by
362 posts

what are your top 3 must sees this trip to Paris? Put those on a city map and pick your location.
I think rue Cler is a bit out of the way except for the Eiffel Tower and the area is expensive for food and accommodations.

Are you walking or using the metro?
If you are using the metro I would suggest a hotel close to two metro lines,
5th/6th/15th.

Walking ( Notre Dame + Picasso+ Pompidou) = Marais
Louve, Orsay , Orangerie= 5&6+8 by the Seine

Posted by
159 posts

I went to Paris for the first time last year. I stayed on l'ile Saint Louis - a small ile just behind Notre Dame. I don't think I would ever stay anywhere else. It is centrally located and very quiet at night - mostly residential with a real neighborhood feeling - but also some good restaurants and shops. There are 3 hotels there and I'm sure they are all great. sue

Posted by
27 posts

The first time we went to Paris we stayed at Hotel du Champs du Mars in Rue Cler based on the Rick Steves recommendation. It was an adequate hotel with a very small room and we paid over $200 per night, but we loved the location. Close to the metro, a great cafe right outside the hotel, near lots of attractions, and a pedestrian neighborhood. When we checked the prices for a second trip last year they had gone up considerably. We ended up finding a lovely apartment in the Marais, right on Rue St. Antoine, with a lovely courtyard. It was also very close to two metro stops with cafes and boulangeries, etc., right outside the apartment. We pad $1350 for the week which was less than $200 per night AND we had a kitchen and washer and dryer! It was wonderful. Both neighborhoods were great but the apartment was much nicer than the hotel and cheaper.