Please sign in to post.

First time in Paris with young kids. March 2020

Hi all,

My husband and I will visit Paris from 3/19 to 3/20/20 with our 3 young kids (2,4,7). This is going to be our first time traveling across the Atlantic Ocean. Kids did okay in the past as we travelled often to Hawaii or the Caribbean from California. We will meet up another family with 2 young kids (5,7) in Paris and possibly stay together during our Paris leg. After Paris, the other family will start their champagne tours. Below is our tentative itinerary.
Day 1: arrival at 9:30, hotel, rest, grocery shopping
Day 2: Paris
Day 3: Paris
Day 4: Paris (Sunday)
Day 5: Paris
Day 6: Paris
Day 7: check out hotel, Versailles, drive to the Loire, base in Tours or Amboise?
Day 8: Loire
Day 9: Loire
Day 10: leaving Loire, back to Paris
Day 11: CDG to home
Questions:
1. I’d like to hear your opinions on this general itinerary. Doable?
2. What’s the best mode of transportation to get to the Loire and back to Paris/CDG (convenience and cost wise)? Options: A) rental car from Paris and drop off in Paris/CDG. B) train to Versailles, then train from Versailles to Tours, rent a car from Tours, drop off car in Tours and take train back to Paris/CDG.
3.On our last night, if we get back to Paris early, should we stay in Paris or more convenient to check in a hotel near CDG? Anything to do around the airport area?

I would love to hear your input. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
6788 posts
  1. Yes. (Nice to see a first-time traveler not trying to cram in 10 stops in a week)

2. Two separate questions...getting to/from the Loire, and getting around while you're there. IMHO the train is the best option to get there and back, but a car is very handy once you're there.

3. I see no need to relocate to a hotel closer to the airport before departing. I'd stay in Paris and savor that last night.

Posted by
11211 posts

or more convenient to check in a hotel near CDG

With 3 young children, the answer to this question will depend on what time your flight out is.

Posted by
5286 posts

Yes, it certainly is doable, a quite refreshing change from the usual overly ambitious itineraries. I would however suggest that your time in Paris is too long with young children however I'm not a Paris fan so my opinion is clouded somewhat. For children so young I could see them being quite bored within such a duration. I probably wouldn't take them to Versailles either, way too crowded and not enjoyable for either the kids or the adults trying to keep hold of them!

Posted by
3122 posts

At Versailles, I recommend spending as much time as possible out in the gardens, as the kids may get panicky in the crowds inside the palace. Very few tourists go out into the gardens so there's plenty of space to roam around. You can rent a golf cart, which might be a fun way of getting around (with 3 kids, you might need to rent two carts). March is a bit early for spring blooms, but there will probably be some early ones and in any case the gardens are more to be enjoyed for their architecture than for flowers. Note that you can enter the "campus" from the garden side later in the day; check the Versailles website and the RS guidebook for details about where and what time it opens.

In the Loire Valley, I can highly recommend Hotel Biencourt in Azay-le-Rideau, located in a converted Napoleonic-era school building on a pedestrian street (vehicle access is allowed for unloading your luggage). Azay-le-Rideau is about 1/2 hour southwest of Tours and an easy drive from there to the Fortress of Chinon, which has lots of kid-friendly interactive exhibits. It is also convenient for visiting the chateau of Villandry and Fontevraud Abbey. The town is walkable and charming, and has its own chateau. The innkeepers at Hotel Biencourt are the nicest, most helpful people you'd ever want to meet. There is a courtyard where you can sit, off the street, in nice weather. Also their breakfast is excellent.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks everyone for your wonderful input and recommendations. I was told there’s no direct train from Versailles to Tours so I think we will take a day trip from Paris. Then take the train from Paris to Tours and pick up our rental car there.

Posted by
3 posts

@epltd: I will look into the 2 places you recommended. Our girls would love it if they get to stay at a “castle”.
@JC: we decided to make our Paris leg a little longer as it might take at least a couple days for the kids to acclimate to the new time and surroundings.