Please sign in to post.

First time in Paris

Perhaps this is an impossible ask, but my daughter and I are going to Paris October 4-13. This will be my first time, and need to stick to a budget when it comes to hotels. Would love to have a clean, safe and comfortable room to sleep and have breakfast. We plan on being out most of the days that we are there.

Is there such thing as low $200's a night? Am I crazy to think this might be possible?

We have a Normandy day trip in the plans, as well. Suggestions have been 6th and 7th Arrondissements and Le Marais.
I am a novice traveler, and am very anxious. Help!

Posted by
745 posts

I can't offer any suggestions for a hotel in that budget, but I would absolutely give yourself a minimum of 1-2 nights in the Normandy region. A day trip is just not enough time. That way you can visit Mont St Michel and see the WW2 sites near Bayeux. It's a wonderful little town to stay in, and I feel like with the amount of time you have on your trip; a day trip to Normandy seems far too rushed. (You can find Normandy day tours since you are a novice and anxious traveler, so I wouldn't suggest renting a car for your situation.)

Enjoy your trip, and have fun with it! Telling you to not be anxious seems so condescending, but its not a good way to go into a trip. Just remember there's always a solution or work around for whatever you may encounter!

Posted by
1256 posts

Hi Lisa. Check out the Accor hotel chain. We've stayed there many times and always find them clean, safe, and comfortable. Website very easy to sort by location, price, etc. Looks like they have 111 hotels in Paris that fit your criteria. Note that in Paris, there are many nice neighborhoods and as long as your hotel is within a few blocks of a metro stop you can be anywhere in the city in minutes. Have a great trip!

Posted by
190 posts

It’s good to be nervous a little bit. Call it anticipation. Beyond the myriad of competing and sometimes conflicting advice read up in Rick Steves guide(s) to make good decisions.

Low two hundred dollar range might be challenging but do your search with a city map of Paris and you should find something. The advice to use Accor hotels is spot on. Bear in mind their economy offerings are sometimes very spartan.

You mention a day trip to Normandy under consideration. Full disclosure, I live in rural Normandy and you’ll do just a little bit more than look out the window of a tour coach and perhaps a train during a single long day. Pick a location or area of Normandy and see if your budget of time and money allows for two nights.

Good Luck, you’re going to do ok with a first trip!

Posted by
1121 posts

Welcome, lisad,
Is Oct. 4 the day you leave home and the 13th the day you fly home? If so, you will have 12 nights in Paris, so you can make your plans around that time frame. Your first day (Oct. 5) you will probably be tired and not do much sightseeing, depending on your arrival time and how long your flight was. Thus, I wouldn't plan your (long) day trip to Normandy at the beginning of your stay...maybe half-way through? I agree that a day trip to Normandy is far from ideal, but if that is what you want to do, then go for it. Just know that you will spend more time in transit than you will sightseeing in Normandy.

October is approaching fast, so when you find a decent hotel deal, jump on it. The Accor chain sounds like a reasonable option. I have no suggestions as we always stay with family in the suburbs when there. Get a cancellable reservation. Check places at Booking.com. You can often reserve directly with the hotel, etc. once you find a place with availability. Watch out about AirB&B. There are some out there with illegal rentals. You don't want to pay up front wherever you stay, unless a smallish deposit.
There is so much to see and do in and around Paris...lucky you and your daughter!
Keep us informed of your plans. Many of us out here relish hearing about the fun and joy others have when going to France. It keeps us sane between visits there!
Bon voyage!

Posted by
1205 posts

Ditto on the "minimum of 1-2 nights in the Normandy region." And I;de add at least one more night for each additional place you want to see (like MSM, etc.).

Posted by
71 posts

Check the Citadines chain. Rooms are studio-type rooms. There may not be 24-hour reception, and ask if rooms are serviced every day. I stayed in one of their properties for a month a very long time ago. You'll have a little kitchenette, and perhaps a sofa. Also, look at the Mercure chain of hotels. Ibis are moderately priced, but be mindful of room size. In fact, at any hotel, be mindful of room size as they can be quite small. Especially for two people.

Posted by
124 posts

Hi Lisa,

I'd suggest you join AirBnB.com and use their services. I've been a member for more than 5 years and use their rentals almost exclusively, now. In November, 2023, I used them 2X in Paris, in Bayeau and in Frankfurt. Also used them in February, 2023 in Paris and am using them again in November, 2024 in Budapest. I've used them here in the US, too. In all instances, I've paid well under $140 per night for two people, even under $100 in Bayeau and Frankfurt. There's plenty of guest reviews and I pick the places that have 4.5 stars or better. Granted, you are not provided full breakfast, but with the money you save you can buy your own produce, eggs, juice, breads, breakfast meats, cereal - whatever - and eat at home, or pay for a full breakfast at a cafe. Every place I've picked has been spotless, with easy access, in great neighborhoods and with great hosts.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Posted by
2102 posts

You might check out booking.com

One of the posters mention the Accor Chain. One of their brands is Ibis. I stayed at Ibis in Southampton and it was a decent place.

I am not well traveled and watching the Olympics has made me want to visit Paris.

Posted by
2176 posts

As a general rule, the the higher the number of the arrondissement, the less expensive the accommodations. We stayed in the 13th arrondissement with a lovely couple who rented out a spare bedroom. It was less than $120.00 a night 6 years ago.

The Metro is wonderful, we were a two block walk from a station and used the Metro to travel all over Paris.