Please sign in to post.

First time in Paris

Planning a four day trip to Paris the end of April. Looking for recommendations on area to stay that is convenient to sights, metro, restaurants, etc. Plan on going to Versailles one day. Need itinerary for rest of trip....Louvre, Eiffel tower, other must see sights. Thanks!

Posted by
8674 posts

Get the RS Guidebook and read it. Loads of practical intel to help you create an itinerary that meets your interests for your 4 day stay.

Posted by
6293 posts

Claudia is right. Get a good guidebook, or several. Your local public library will have a good selection.

And don't let anyone else tell you what are the "must see" sights. Consider your own interests, then plan your trip accordingly. But be sure to leave time for serendipity, and be open to new experiences.

Have a wonderful time; Paris is magical if you are open to it, and it sounds like you are.

Posted by
13946 posts

Do your 4 days include your arrival day from a US flight? Just asking to see what kind of time you really have, lol.

Do look at Rick's guide book to start narrowing down hotel areas and sights of interest to you. I agree with Jane, make sure the sights you see are what YOU want to see not just what people here or in a guidebook find interesting.

You'll need to have timed entry tickets for Versailles, the Eiffel Tower and likely for the Louvre as well. Book these tickets on the official websites for each venue. For the Louvre I have the app downloaded and book my ticket thru the app. The Eiffel Tower will need to be booked well out, follow the ticketing page on the Louvre website to see how far in advance you need to book. You may only need to book it a couple of weeks out from your visit but keep up on it so you know how quickly the museum is booking out.

Also you'll need to be mindful of their closure days (Versailles - Monday, Louvre - Tuesday). Versailles will take most of the day by the time you go out on the RER, tour the Palace and Gardens and then return to Paris. I'd not plan any other timed entry for that day. Plan on a half a day for the Louvre and then I'd not plan for another museum on that day either.

Many people here stay in the single digit arrondissements. Many like the 5th or 6th. Look at Rick's book to see what hotels appeal to you and your budget.

Posted by
2181 posts

When we were planning our first trip, someone on this forum said, "Stay as close to the river and as close to Notre Dame as possible" for a first trip. We stayed in the Marais and were happy we did.

Posted by
3961 posts

We also enjoyed our first memorable stay in Le Marais. Some friends recommended a charming hotel that was just a short walk to Notre Dame and the Seine. Wonderful restaurants nearby and walking distance to the sights. The Saint-Paul Bus station was a 5 minute walk from our hotel. Enjoy your planning!
Edited to add: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj4sfbas__8AhVAHzQIHb1vD6kQFnoECDIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.parisperfect.com%2Fmarais.php&usg=AOvVaw3hoqthAx_IfPEpon3t-163

Posted by
11159 posts

We like to stay in the following Arrondisements on the Left Bank:: 6,5,7,4. They are near the Seine and are well located for visiting the most important sites and museums.

Posted by
3844 posts

We are traveling to Paris for the first time this April. We are staying at the K+K Hotel Cayre Saint Germain in the 7th. My sister and her family stayed there a few years back and gave it good reviews.

Posted by
1369 posts

For my first time in Paris I stayed near the Saint-Michel Notre Dame Metro/RER station. Here you have the RER-B line that heads to and from CDG airport. RER-C which takes you out to Versailles. Metro-4 that cuts through Paris.

Enjoy your trip.