Please sign in to post.

First day in paris

We are arriving into our apartment in Paris around 2 this afternoon - wanted to do a bike tour but my son is fighting it does anyone have a suggestion for a good activity to orient ourselves to Paris? Walk from the Rick Steve book? Hop on hop off bus? Other ideas?

We are already gong to Eiffel Tower - have tickets for 9pm tonight

Posted by
6919 posts

I would say a walk, it's a lovely day here and the next few days will be very hot unfortunately. Just pick somewhere close to your apt. There will be many people around.

Posted by
354 posts

A boat cruise on the Siene? Bus # 69 route? Hang out on les plages? Wander around Pere Lachese cemetery?

Enjoy your trip!

I know for me, the first time I visited Paris, I enjoyed starting at l'Arc de Triomphe (very good view from the top, and an eternal flame beneath the arch, plus it's amazing to watch the chaotic traffic in what must be one of the largest traffic circles anywhere).

From there walk down the Champs Elysée (itself not that interesting) to Avenue Winston Churchill, take a right there and walk past the Grand Palais and the Petit Palais, noting Sir Winston's statue next to the Petit Palais, and then on across the ornate Pont Alexandre III heading toward the golden dome of Invalides with the Eiffel Tower off to your right -- that was a pretty good introduction. If he's interested in things military maybe a quick stop to see the tomb of Napoleon might get his attention. It's pretty amazing.

Posted by
11507 posts

This next week is going to be HOT - I’d suggest taking it easy and getting into some green space ( the heat just radiates from all the pavement and stone buildings ) ,Buttes Chaumont is a great park and you can walk and sit on the grass there lol .

Another activity for a hot day is to visit the Catacombs - always cool down there