Please sign in to post.

finding oneself, SIM for ipad/ google off line

I would like to be able to poke around back roads in Ireland, France, Italy and Greece, including Crete. I do not have a smart phone but will have an ipad. I expect to get lost and am trying to figure out how to be able to locate myself. A GPS is too expensive for 7 weeks. The 2 possibilities I see are a SIM card and “The most economical approach is to download as much information as possible while you’re on Wi-Fi (Google Maps’ “save map to use offline” feature is useful for this, allowing you to view and even zoom in — though not search or get directions — once you’re offline).” RS.
What is an inexpensive reliable company for multi country roving? I looked at the Boingo comments and someone said there were only a few hot spots in Barcelona. So I am thinking this would not be useful in out of the way places. Any suggestions?
Then there is the suggestion to save zoomable maps offline, but I do not see any way of doing that when I google a place. How to do this? I presume the other suggestion of a map app that Rick mentions is only for smart phones?
Any other suggestions? Thanks, Annie

Posted by
32505 posts

this identical question has been asked in at least a couple of other Forums today. Before answering here it may be worthwhile seeing which of the other threads has already been answered..

Posted by
46 posts

Hi, Nigel. I am back on the RS forum for the first time in a couple of years. In the past, I used to be able to search the forums for a topic. For example, I could type in i-pad and find a list of threads. I may be stupid, but I can't find a place to search like that any more. Do you have a suggestion?

Posted by
18 posts

Not being able to find a GPS in Canada with Europe maps at a reasonable price I simply ordered it from Amazon UK. Got a Garmin with lifetime map upgrades for UK and all of Continental Europe for C$ 110 delivered to my office
I feel this is a very cost effective solution considering the number of times I plan to travel over the next few years health and bank account permitting

Posted by
11294 posts

I agree with the last reply. Don't rent a GPS there, and don't count on using data - just buy a GPS with European maps before you go. This way you not only can be sure it works, but can learn how to use it, and can program in your hotels, etc, and do a preview of the routes on the GPS before leaving.

In addition to getting a European model from Amazon.co.uk, you have two other options:

1. Buy European maps for your current GPS.
  2. Buy a new GPS that has both North American and European maps already loaded. My friend just got a TomTom with both sets of maps on Amazon.com, and said it was only a bit more money than one with just NA maps.
Posted by
32171 posts

annie,

I agree with previous comments - buy an inexpensive GPS with European maps before your trip, as that will be the easiest solution. This page shows some of the models....

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Agps%20european%20maps

Note that for driving in Italy and especially in Greece, you must have an International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. If you're involved in any kind of a "traffic incident" in Greece, not having an I.D.P. will likely result in a very unpleasant holiday experience. It would also be a good idea (IMO) to get CDW coverage for each country, which won't be cheap but will save you a lot of money if any damage to the vehicle occurs.