Please sign in to post.

Favorite lunch places in Paris

We are looking for recommendations for lunch places in Paris, especially near the main museums. We plan to visit an art museum most days, so looking for recommendations that are fairly central. Thanks,

Posted by
1337 posts

At the Louvre I love Cafe Marly.
At the Centre Pompidou I love George
Near the Opera I love Grand Cafe Capucines
Near Montparnasse I love La Rotonde or Le Chien qui Fume
Near Les Halles I love Au Pied de Cochon

Posted by
2048 posts

Thank you for your replies. I especially appreciated designating which places were close to which museums.

Posted by
519 posts

Near the Cluny.
Take out bakery. I love the chicken salad sandwich on baguette.
La Maison d’Isabelle, 47ter Bd Saint-Germain

Posted by
4436 posts

I can't believe I'm mentioning them, but check out les frenchies on Youtube

Posted by
2745 posts

Personally, I would skip café Marley

Try Le Fumior behind the Louvre

Posted by
4436 posts

or eat at the museum restaurant if you like Rick's review. We had a very nice meal at the less expensive top floor location in the Orsay which also has a view patio and, most importantly, had ICED TEA.

Also remember Rick's suggestion of doing a takeaway picnic type lunch in a park or near the Seine.

Posted by
2048 posts

Thank you again. Phred, I found Les Frenchies on YouTube. They seem to have some useful information, but it’s watching them eat so much kind of takes my appetite away.

Posted by
2745 posts

You do realize when you watch these videos of people eating and doing restaurant reviews, they don’t do it all in one day? . Even if they’re dressed alike doesn’t mean they did it all the same day. As a matter fact, in Les Frenchies is she pretty much wearing is the same shirt in 99% of her videos I think it’s probably just some kind of continuity thing

Posted by
2552 posts

Of the few les Frenchies I have seen, they only tape at well-known guide book restaurants.

Posted by
2030 posts

Le Nemours - on Place Colette, near the Louvre
(the Louvre also has a good food court)

Bistro Vivienne - in the Gallerie Vivienne

Angelina on rue du Rivoli (they serve food as well as hot chocolate and pastry)

Posted by
1144 posts

Here's some outlying museums and restaurants.

If you got go the Marmottan Museum (highly recommended) it is in a very quiet neighborhood. But if you walk back towards the Trocadero, there is the wonderful La Rotonde de la Muette. Outdoor cafe seating or indoor tables and a delightful menu.

https://www.rotondemuette.paris/

Continuing the walk towards Trocadero brings you right by the Passy Market. The two stops (lunch and market) break up the walk nicely.

Alternatively, a little further along you could stop in the Wine Museum and have lunch in the wine cave after visiting the museum. I have only been there for the museum and a glass of wine though, but lunch comes well reviewed. Plan this walk out ahead of time though, the museum is fairly hidden.

https://www.museeduvinparis.com/

A block from the Liberation Museum (General Leclerc Museum) and the Catacombs (the two museums are practically across the street form one another) are two classic cafes: La Coupole and Le Dôme Café. I've only eaten at the former, but both are very historic and highly acclaimed.

Posted by
10222 posts

Actually Le Dôme, La Coupole, along with Le Select and La Rotonde are on Blvd. de Montparnasse at Blvd Raspail, which is Metro Vavin. The Catacombs and Liberation Museum are two stops south at Denfert Rochereau, both on line 4. However, there are plenty of places to eat near Denfert. You've compressed the distance in your memory, Phil

Posted by
1337 posts

Personally, I would skip café Marley

Mais non! The view is spectacular and I've only ever had top-notch service and food. Their Pavlova saved my life.

Posted by
3963 posts

We always look forward to Cafe Campana in Musee d’Orsay before we head into the adjacent Impressionist wing. Simple fare in a beautiful room. If the door to the rooftop is unlocked when you are there enjoy some views over Paris before you head into the exhibits.

Posted by
1144 posts

Le Dôme Café to the Catacombs is about a 15-minute walk. Add a couple of minutes if you want to go via and through the Montparnasse Cemetery (also recommended). I consider that nearby.