Please sign in to post.

Family Travel suggestions for Fall 2017 UK/France

Hi All,
We are stating to plan a 3 week trip to the UK and France with our Family (2 adults, 3 kids who will be 11, 10 and 8) and possibly 2 tag along adult cousins. Looking for itinerary suggestions, kid friendly activities and tours and hints at lodging...finding the number "5" challenging when looking for hotel/B&B etc. Would love to work in some culinary and farm experiences, theatre, and a hike or two as well as the castle/chateau, history, etc . Rough outline: Paris, Normandy, Loire valley, Guernsey ( Wife's family origins...Grandmother on last boat out when Nazi's invaded), Bath. Cotswolds', Wales, lakes district, Scotland (more family origins...Clan Donal), York, London. May save family history stops for another time. We've also been tempted by changing direction and heading through Switzerland south to Florence/Rome however. Love to hear some suggestions for the kids, especially those WOW moments. looking forward to what you have to share. Thanks in advance! -Eric and Stephanie. Orange, CA

Posted by
2466 posts

Have a look at this website, and verify the facts with each individual hotel:
http://sleeps5.com/destinations/europe-south/france/paris/

You might think about booking adjoining hotel rooms, so you would have access to 2 full bathrooms - which would make it much easier to get everyone ready in the morning. There are plenty of clean, well-located budget hotels in Paris. If you are coming in the Summer, you will need air conditioning.

If you are staying 5 days or more in Paris, and think you'll need a kitchen, look at Citadines and Adagio appart'hotels - many have family rooms which sleep 5 people. Look in Postal Codes 75011, 75012, 75014 and 75015 for better prices - often discounts if you book ahead.

Would not advise renting an individual apartment in Paris, since there are significant changes in the laws regarding vacation rentals, and it will be much more complicated to rent them.

Transportation will be convenient anywhere you stay in Paris. Prices for lodging will be much higher if you want to stay near any major attraction.

Posted by
11507 posts

You have ten stops !! But about 20 days!

When is trip, Rome can be insufferably hot in summer, I took my 11 yr old once in August and it is not pleasant !!!

I have taken two of my three kids on one on one trips to Europe when they were 11, and 13. ( my hubby took the third one) we did it like this for several reasons, one being that you are correct, being a family of five does not make for easy travel in Europe !

I know that one thing that works is to alternate big city visits ( like London) with smaller town and or throw in a beaxh stop , most kids do not do well on Bataan Death march trips lol . I took my son for three weeks and my daughter for four weeks . No one night stops , and inbuilt in a few longer stays (!paris 7 days, Rome 5 days etc)

Posted by
32825 posts

I've just realised that this thread has a twin over in the England Forum. If answering here you might look over there too.

Posted by
7175 posts

You will encounter more 'WOW!!' moments for the kids along this path.
London (4 nts)
Paris (5 nts)
Swiss Alps/Berner Oberland (4 nts)
Florence (4 nts)
Rome (4 nts)
My advice with a large party would be to minimise your number of travel days. eg. 5 destinations/4 travel days.