Please sign in to post.

Family of 3, Budget €350-500 per night, Dec 29 - Jan 4

After reading on forums, have decided not to stay in Arrondissement 1 as good hotels are very expensive, Arrondissement 7 despite being close to Eiffel Tower as will be away from other sites and would like to enjoy restaurants in evening once it gets dark after 4PM in December end-early January.

Narrowing it down to arrondissement 3-4 (Le Marais), 6th Arrondissement (Saint Germain) or The Latin Quarter (5th Arrondissement).

Any recommendation for hotel (1 room - 2 adults, 1 child 13 years), close to metro/ReR so can easily visit other sites in Paris, close to restaurants and cafes, can enjoy walking even at night.

Is Saint Germain better area for that? Any other recommendations.

Thank You

Posted by
1402 posts

The Marais is my personal favorite among the arrondissements in Paris, and, like the Latin Quarter, is a great neighborhood to stay in while in Paris.
However, for the rate you are looking for, I don't know that you will be able to find a hotel with rates that break down to $60-$80 per night. Because your timeframe includes New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, it will be even more difficult because there is high demand for hotel rooms in Paris during New Year's. You can check www.Trivago.com and under filters enter the nightly cost for a room that you would like. That will give you an idea of what might be available. You also might want to check www.VRBO.com ( "Vacation Rentals By Owner") which lists apartments for rent to travelers by their owners.

Posted by
61 posts

Thanks for the reply. I corrected it. Budget €350-500 per night.

Will appreciate recommendations.

Posted by
3688 posts

I see that you have increased your budget and firmed up the possible locations since your initial post. The hotel I suggested in your initial post is still a possibility because it is in Saint Germain. One of my favorite hotels in Paris that should be in your budget is Hotel Odeon Saint Germain on Rue St Sulpice. It is just outside of Saint Germain in the Latin Quarter but in the 75006 postal code. I will mention that you should pretty promptly get this locked down. I just looked at two hotels (Hotel Artus and Hotel le Petit Paris) that I wanted to suggest and both no longer have any triples for your dates. Triples are somewhat hard to find in Paris and especially hard to find in Le Marais, in my opinion, and you are traveling during a peak period. Whatever you do, don't become a victim of "paralysis from analysis" caused by the fact that there are so many hotel choices in Paris. Bonne chance et bon voyage.

Posted by
4151 posts

You might check Booking.com where you can filter your initial results by things like arrondissement, hotel or apartment, price, etc.

I think the 13 year old may count as an adult. When you do the first pass at finding something, you can put in the number of adults and children. You will then be asked to put the ages of the children. Make sure that any place you seriously consider has a real bed and not just a sofa bed.

Also be sure to read the reviews, especially the recent ones.

If you haven't used Booking.com before, it's a bit of a learning curve, but well worth the effort to hone in on a short list of options to choose from. Then the real fun begins with looking at the pictures and reading the reviews.

Personally, I ignore the stars as irrelevant to what I want. BUT I request a review score of 8+ for any place I stay.

Once I make a final couple of selections, I then find their websites using Google and see if I can get a better price or room by dealing directly with them. Sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes it's not.

In your case, contacting the lodgings directly might result in a better option for the 3 of you than you might see through any online source.

Enjoy the searching and I hope you find a great place to stay in Paris.

Posted by
61 posts

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I made my booking by calling hotel directly and got a better rate. Looking forward to Paris.

Posted by
3688 posts

Which hotel/area did you choose?

Posted by
61 posts

I chose St Germain area, Hotel Madison Privelege view room. From 20 m² room, Double King size or Twin bed. Requesting King Bed. Added extra bed.. It's expensive but I see now that I can choose Hotel Academie Saint Germain and save €150 per night.

Hotel Academie Saint Germain
Deluxe room
Each 17m² in size. Each room has a large 160 x 190 cm bed or twin beds.
I can request King Bed and instead of booking another room, I can just add an extra bed.

Is Hotel Academie Saint Germain in 7th Arrondissemenet? Was it a 3 start hotel in past and now 4 star?
If Hotel Madison has better location then I would rather pay extra for close to metro/ReR so can easily visit other sites in Paris, close to restaurants and cafes, can enjoy walking even at night.

Posted by
3688 posts

Great choice of area. Have a wonderful trip.

Edit: You edited so I edited -- LOL. I have a friend who travels to Paris once or twice per year who stays at the Acadamie Saint Germain every time. He and his wife rave about the place. It's currently ranked 65 out of 1,887 hotels in Paris on TripAdvisor (higher than Hotel Madison though both are in the top 10%) so it seems quite good me. I've met him there and I hate the decor but I don't love antiques generally. If you love that old school European look, why not save 150€ per night. If you map it out you will see that the two hotels are about a 5-10 minute walk from each other. They are both quite well located. It's a little more quiet in a good way IMO near the Acadamie but they are both basically in the same 'hood. The one advantage I see with the Madison is that it is very close to two metro stops on two lines, although I avoid line 4 so being close to a stop on that line would not be a big plus for me. To put it in perspective for you the Academie is 5 minutes from the metro stop that is 1 minute from the Madison and less than 10 minutes from the one that is 2 minutes from the Madison. I'd save my 150€ per night, and spend it on meals.