Please sign in to post.

Eze Late May 2024: Crowds and Logistics

Hi Folks,

I will be in Aix-en-Provence for 1 week (with Car), then Villefranche-sur-mer for a week (no car) the last 2 weeks in May. When in Villefranche, and in addition to other day trips, we want to visit Eze. A few questions:
- I know there will be no "beating the crowds" in late May. However, Would we be better getting there early? or late afternoon?
- Logistics: I know its a short train from Villefranche, and the train takes one to the bottom. We would have to get to the top, and quite frankly, hiking up is probably not an option (however, hiking down is). What is best way to get to the top, leaving from Villefranche?
- We are thinking of possibly, regardless of time, to get a reservation for either lunch (assuming thats possible) or Dinner, and understand we would need to do this asap - thoughts on restaurants? and if thats a working plan to try to alleviate some of the craziness crowds bring?

Thanks for any replies!

Glenn

Posted by
10192 posts

Eze by public transportation isn't my specialty, so I hope someone gives the answer,

but doesn't the bus from Nice go right by the base of the upper village. That is the Moyen (middle) Corniche, one of the main routes from Nice to Monaco and beyond. There's a parking lot and the Fragonard boutique across the road. I can't imagine there isn't a bus.

Posted by
9572 posts

Yes, the two times I have been to Eze, that's exactly how I have gotten there. On the bus from Nice on the middle corniche.

So I guess from Villefranche, you would backtrack into Nice and catch the bus there.

You do NOT want to walk up to Eze. It's hard enough hiking down from there (and I did it when I was in my mid-30s).

Posted by
193 posts

No need to backtrack to Nice to get to Eze. The Lignes d’Azur bus #602 runs between Nice and Monte Carlo. It makes a few stops in the Villefranche area as well as in Eze Village. It only runs every two hours or so though, so check the schedule. Or, when I stayed in Menton last year, I took a train to the Eze-Sur-Mer station (the same train passes through Villefranche on the way to Nice). There is a bus stop adjacent to the station, and bus #82 (83?) whisked me up to the village from there.

Posted by
106 posts

Watch the Me and Mon Ami You Tube Video: Eze, is it really worth visiting now that they’ve added massive car park?

Posted by
2427 posts

If you have a car, it would be less complicated to drive to Eze le Village. There is a large parking lot there. I would go early to get a parking spot and maybe encounter fewer people.

Posted by
199 posts

Thanks for the feedback. We will not have a car, so that is out. Bus or train are our options. I actually did watch the Me and Mon ami video the other day - but since we aren't driving, really isn't applicable. I did pre-order the Rick Steves Provence & the French Riviera book (comes out in April) - my understanding is Rick includes bus numbers from Villefranche to Eze.

How about time of day? I am leaning on late afternoon/early evening for this trip. My understanding is the garden opens from 9-6:30 in May, and the Cruise ship crowds tend to be late morning/early afternoon (not sure if this is accurate, just what i read).

Are there any restaurant recommendations (outside of the "famous" one that is extremely expensive)?

Thanks!

Glenn

Posted by
515 posts

I drove to Eze but my thought was “is that all there is?”. I would never go back. I would be happy to return to Antibes though. Many other places too - Menton, Cannes, Belleiu sur Mer, Cassis etc