Please sign in to post.

Evening Entertainment in Paris

Hello,
After a cruise, will be in Paris for two nights on May 14th & 15th. Could someone please suggest things to go to in the evening? We would like to have dinner early & go to a show or anything that would be unique to Paris. Thank you for your advice!!

Posted by
10 posts

I have gathered that early dinners are far less of a thing in France. In my research, it seems like most restaurants open at 7. If you have the splurge money, I'd say pick one night to book a Michelin restaurant and the other night, take a local recommendation. The neighborhoods of Montmartre and St. Germain have lots of places, and the beauty of Paris is simply wandering around and stumbling on places. As far as entertainment, if you want to go the touristy route, there's the show at Moulin Rouge. Alternatively, you could research some jazz clubs and check those out!

Posted by
160 posts

Thank you! Great idea… I’ve been looking for a Michelin restaurant in the Montmontre area! Know of any that you could recommend?

Posted by
118 posts

If you want to eat a bit earlier, Atelier Maitre Albert in the 5th, just across the river from Notre Dame, opens at 6:30. All their meat is spit-roasted on a huge wall rotisserie and is delicious. I recommend making a reservation. It will leave you time to find some entertainment if that's what you're after.

I know you likely won't have time, but the info on some really nice concerts has been found on flyers attached to kiosks on the street corners of the city. Sounds hit-or-miss, and I guess it is, but I've enjoyed all of them.

Posted by
6 posts

Concert at St. Chapelle or performance at Opera Garnier are my top 2 recommendations.

Posted by
1175 posts

Check out classictic.com for Paris. Lots of options there. Many of the popular venues sell out months in advance. A quick check reveals a piano or Les Grandes Voix offerings at Theatre des Champs-Elysses on those dates for $36. Some churches might have organ recitals or similar programs on those dates but hopefully some locals might chime in. Good luck.

Posted by
8072 posts

dinner cruise sure sounds like guerilla marketing from a cruise operator -- very few people would recommend a dinner cruise in a city with such great dining options. Unless you are springing for the super expensive Ducasse dinner cruise you are better off eating at a good restaurant and then taking a cruise -- If you dine early at 7:30, you would probably have time for a late cruise.

Posted by
201 posts

For something different, as a huge Music fan, we went to see Gypsy Jazz (Jazz Manouche) at Monk (51 Rue de la Harpe). We saw Brunard Jazz Connexion, and greatly enjoyed it. Check out their website to see if anything is playing the nights you are there.

Glenn

Posted by
2 posts

Another rec for a classical concert, this site probably overlaps with what someone else mentioned but here you go: https://www.ampconcerts.com
Rue des Lombards near Les Halles has many jazz clubs, I recommend Sunset/Sunside - it's pretty cramped but a fun evening if you catch a good act.
Also, depending on which night you will be there, many museums have later nights when they are open until later in the evening.
Here's a good list: https://culturezvous.com/en/museums-open-at-night-in-paris-2024/
There is also a contemporary gallery called Fluctuart, it's on a barge in the Seine and is open til midnight or later.
https://fluctuart.fr
Lastly, while many proper restaurants don't start serving dinner until 7 or 7:30pm, you can certainly get what the French would consider an early dinner at a café or brasserie or at one of the many delicious Lebanese or Indian places (don't sleep on the fact that Paris is multicultural and has much to offer beyond French cuisine if you would like to go beyond) - look for "service continu", meaning all day day service.

Posted by
557 posts

Show unique to Paris in the evening?
Moulin rouge or crazy horse

Posted by
8072 posts

Lots of concerts; I would do a big lunch on a concert day and then just get something light at a cafe before the show. The Philarmonie bulding in Villette is stunning and worth booking something there just to see it.

Many museums have late hours: the Louvre on Friday; the musee d'Orsay on Thursday. If you are interested in photography the Maison Europeenne de la Photographie is open till 8 on Tuesdays. the Jeu de Paume is open till 9 on tuesdays. both currently have really interesting exhibits.

Or plan on a late afternoon museum visit followed by dinner at 8 or 8:30

Posted by
9618 posts

it seems like most restaurants open at 7.

I would say most restaurants open at 8, with a few opening at 7:30.

Of course at a brasserie, you can have a meal any time of day