Please sign in to post.

European Heritage Days

We're going to be in Paris from September 21-25, so I've been trying to book tickets for a few key things we'd like to see and do. Multiple sites I tried like Sainte-Chapelle and the Arc de Triomphe showed no tickets available on the 21st or the 22nd. I have now discovered that is when European Heritage Days are taking place, so those monuments are open to the public for free hence there are no timed entry reservations available.

On the one hand this seems kind of cool since there will be special tours and events taking place all over the city for those days. On the other hand I was hoping to minimize the amount of time we spend standing in lines as much as possible, and I suspect that this event might mean very long lines. For example, there are free guided tours at the Arc de Triomphe all day on the 21st, but it doesn't look like they take reservations. Does anyone have any experience with European Heritage Days who can confirm if I am correct about the lines?

Posted by
588 posts

Someone else asked this question a few days ago:

Previous thread

But yes, depending on the attraction, you are likely to end up in a (long) line if it's
part of the Heritage program. I suppose the contrarian move might be to go to places
still charging admission. Or do things like a Seine cruise.

Posted by
12313 posts

I didn't see the other thread. I used the Heritage days to visit sights that aren't normally open.

Saturday, I got up early and went to Luxembourg Palace, where the Senate meets. That was on one of my trips during 2016-18. There were no tickets, no reservations. I arrived about 8 for an 8:30 opening and was within the first 50 people in line. Afterward, I walked around the Isle de Cite and was asked if I wanted to visit the Supreme Court (for enterprise)? We had a tour of the court and back rooms (saw the justices' robes and wigs on hangars in one room). Also saw the Concierge that day. All free admissions.

The next day, I wanted to see the Presidential Palace. Since it didn't seem to be too big of deal on Saturday, I went a little later, 9:30, and almost missed it. They closed the line not far behind me and we didn't get through until around 5 pm. Needless to say the entire day was standing in line so I didn't see anything else that day.

Posted by
15768 posts

Don't bother with the tourist sights - you can see those another time. This is your opportunity, along with the French citizenry (many out-of-towners), to visit public buildings that are closed to the public the rest of the year. They are all elegant palaces - Palais Bourbon (Assemble Nationale/house of representatives), Palais du Luxembourg (senate), Hotel de Ville (city hall) as well as the presidential palace. The year I was there for that weekend, several embassies were also open. I happened upon the official residence of the Russian ambassador - like many others in Paris, it's a mansion. They had a special exhibit "art and traditions of Russia" that included the last tsar and his family, Faberge eggs, spectacular jewelry, furniture, clothing and more.

The city usually publishes a guide to the "journees du patrimoine" with lots of info on what's free, what's open, hours, special events, etc. Just google it and rely on google translate if your French isn't up to it.