Please sign in to post.

Europe June 2017

My husband and I are taking our 8 year old son to Europe this summer. We have 14 nights and are flying in and out of London. Right now I'm looking into catching a flight to Barcelona the day we land in London and starting our trip there and then ending in London.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

4 nights in Barcelona (fly to Nice)
2 or 3 nights in Nice (fly to Paris)
4 nights in Paris (take train to London)
3 or 4 nights in London

Any thoughts or recommendations on this itinerary? Also, would you recommend doing a day trip to the Loire Valley when in Paris or go for the night?

A little background... We took our son to Germany, Switzerland and Italy last summer and he did great! He loves all the action of traveling.

Posted by
8147 posts

Your itinerary looks fine.
Have you considered taking the fast train from Nice to Paris? It's about a 6 hour ride, which is no longer than going to the airport, going through security, flying to Paris, getting through the Paris airport, and transportation into Paris. It's also much less of a hassle.
The scenery from the train makes the ride worthwhile.
www.voyages-sncf.com is the French rail website.

Posted by
4132 posts

Not my business, but Provence (around the Rhone) is (1) logistically better and (2) more interesting than Nice. In my opinion. There's no beach in Provence to speak of but there is around Barcelona.

Posted by
7175 posts

Would you consider Provence over Nice? Eliminate airports and make things easy all the way by train.

Fly in to London. Fly to Barcelona - 4 nights
Train to Nimes/Avignon (Provence) - 3 nights
TGV to Paris - 4 nights
Eurostar to London - 3 nights
Fly out of London

Posted by
6510 posts

Looks to me like a good trip, a little fast-paced for me as an introduction to Paris and London, but if that pace worked for you and your son before it should work now. I don't know the particulars re south of France, but I'd say when the train's a reasonable alternative to flying, take the train. Much more comfortable and interesting. With so little time in Paris I wouldn't plan a day trip to the Loire or anywhere else.

Posted by
7175 posts

Would your son fancy an overnight ferry ride ?

Fly in to London. Train to York - 2 nights
Overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam
Train to Amsterdam - 3 nights
Thalys train to Paris - 4 nights
Eurostar to London - 4 nights
Fly out of London

Posted by
92 posts

Thanks for all if your feedback. I'm going to look into Avignon. Are there any other must sees if we were to train up to Paris?
David, you suggested going up to York and then heading to Amsterdam. Why York?

Thanks again!

Cindy

Posted by
15585 posts

Do you already have your plane tickets to London? If you do, then I don't recommend "catching a flight to Barcelona the day we land" because of all the potential delays that could mean you'd miss your flight to Barcelona . . . and be out of pocket for the tickets and in a situation where you have to scrounge for expensive tickets. If you have separate tickets neither airline is responsible if you miss a flight. If you aren't booked through from the US to Spain, then I believe you'll have to go through passport control and customs (after you collect your checked luggage), then check in for your flight (maybe have to go to another terminal), go through security and passport control before you get to your boarding gate.

Posted by
7175 posts

David, you suggested going up to York and then heading to Amsterdam. Why York?

I could be clever and say, "because New York was originally known as New Amsterdam".
However, York is easy by train from London straight after you arrive and is perfect for a couple of nights. Hull is a short train ride then to get an overnight ferry to Holland. It would eliminate the need for flights within Europe. Plus, in the scheme of English history and cathedral building, York is very important.
http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/york-eng-ny-yo.htm

Posted by
4132 posts

There are many great things you could see between Provence and Paris, but you don't have time. Which is okay, this is a good solid itinerary.

I'd choose Arles over Avignon.

Posted by
1097 posts

Ditto what Adam said, especially if you would be in Avignon after the beginning of the theatre festival. We arrived in Avignon the day it started and it was an unexpected and unappreciated distraction. We day tripped to Arles and wish we'd had more time there.

Posted by
92 posts

I looked into the connecting flights and we will have 3 hours in between flights. Although we are not checked all the way through to Barcelona, we will land in the same terminal as we depart for Barcelona. We are also traveling with carry ons. I've already booked our flight to Barcelona, so hopefully we will catch our flight! I'm not too worried.

I think we will train up from Barcelona and see Province instead of Nice. Thank you for all of your feedback! Now I need to look into hotels and train schedules!
Cindy

Posted by
8060 posts

This is already a pretty rushed trip. 3 nights in a place is two full days and the day getting from one to another is mostly sucked up by logistics. You do have enough time for a tiny taste of Paris and London each of which is better served with a few more nights but I wouldn't do anything to reduce either below 4 nights.. Three nights for Nice and 4 for Barcelona are IMHO adequate when the goal is seeing lots of places. I would not add a long day trip when you only have 3 full days in Paris. You already have lots of logistics in this itinerary, don't add another day of rushing and transport. I would do this open jaw into London and out of Barcelona, but if you are already set with tickets, this will be fine.

Posted by
92 posts

Are tickets are already booked. We used air miles for our round trip tickets to London. It was an incredible deal so that is why we booked rt out of London.