Please sign in to post.

Euro Cup 2016 affecting tickets to Eiffel Tower in June?

I am trying to secure tickets to the 2nd level to the Eiffel Tower in June but when I go to the official site and attempt particular dates, there is a message about no slots available because of Euro Cup. However, when I try selecting the top level (a tad too high for me), there are slots available. Very curious. I'm guessing that someone in the Rick Steves community might have an answer? I read somewhere that on Sunday, June 12 there are plans to broadcast a Euro Cup soccer game on jumbo screens near the Eiffel Tower but why would that cut access to the 2nd level but not to the top? The same goes for Monday, June 13. Many thanks!

Posted by
8375 posts

Quick, nab the tickets to the top level! No reason you can't go to the second level and stop there. No one will check to see if you went on an got in the line for the top level or not. Get whatever tickets you can.

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks, Carol. I was wondering if I could just get off at the second level so that's what I'll do.

Posted by
11294 posts

Even if you just wanted to go to the top level and not see anything else, you have to get off at the second level and change elevators (from the ones in the legs to the one in the center). So, as said above, it's no problem just to stop at the second level and not go higher.

Posted by
271 posts

Thank you, Harold, that's good to hear. Maybe I'll get my nerve to continue to the summit after spending time on the 2nd level. It turns out that the day after I purchased tickets to the summit, more tickets to level 2 were released and the notice about Euro Cup had disappeared. So I'm guessing that folks who are intent on securing tickets should return to the site in case addtional tickets become available. We were unable to secure tickets for a dusk time frame as those tickets seem to vanish quickly but we're pleased nonetheless.

Posted by
7209 posts

What a bone-headed move by the French...establishing the biggest Fanzone in the Champs du Mar thus inhibiting visitors to THE most iconic tourist site in all of France. Sheesh. Maybe they could just throw a transport strike on top of it all while they're at it.

Posted by
1369 posts

Adrienne, a lot of people don't go outside along the railing/fence on the top level. You can remain in the inner sanctum of the top level. There are windows to look out through as well as information boards throughout the inner area. Enjoy.

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks! I wasn't aware of an enclosed space at the top. It certainly makes for a more enjoyable experience. I can't imagine being at that extreme level and having to deal with high winds. I also just read in Lonely Planet Paris that there's a champagne bar at the summit. That sounds nice, too.

Tim, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I booked our tickets to the Eiffel Tower on a day when there won't be a Euro Cup game to avoid the crowds at the fan zone. I would imagine that public transportation to the site is going to be crazy on game days.

Posted by
57 posts

i just booked our Eiffel Tower tickets in mid-June. I could buy summit tickets but all of the currently available June dates to just the 2nd floor said not available due to Euro Cup.

Posted by
11 posts

I really would like some correct info. I booked a Viator summit trip with added Boat tour. Two days ago, I got an e-mail stating that my tour was now only to the second floor. When I called Viator, they said the city had closed the summit for the month of June. Today I got an ad from Viator offering a (different) tour to the summit. I called and they told me to call back at 6 AM (west Coast) so they could call Paris office to see what was going on!

Posted by
42 posts

I am wondering what is going on as well! Same thing happened to me - I purchased tickets to the summit and later received an email that they were not allowing access to the summit so we are only allowed to the 2nd floor... So strange that they would say you could only go to the summit... doesn't make sense to me.

Posted by
9567 posts

Oh how sadly prescient Tim's comment turned out to be!!

Posted by
9567 posts

Oh how sadly prescient Tim's comment turned out to be!!

Posted by
36 posts

Woah, what? No going up to the summit during Euro Cup? We bought our tickets for June 22 directly through the Eiffel Tower website a few months ago, and I haven't received any notice about only being able to go to the 2nd floor. Hmmm, I wonder if I can find out what the deal is...

Posted by
2 posts

Just looked on the Viator site for tickets to the ET summit and they are $68 per person triple price of the official site. Should I go for it and book them for an 11am tour or should I risk it and see if I can get them by going there early &standing on line at 9am? Thx - jill

Posted by
2466 posts

If it means that much to you and you can afford to pay triple the price, go ahead.
But if you get there very early and get in line, you'll pay a lot less for the same experience.

Posted by
10188 posts

And if you pay $68 for a day that's foggy or rainy?