Please sign in to post.

Euro 2016

Hello,

I am planning a trip that overlaps with most of Euro 2016 (the tournament is June 10th to July 10th) and I will be traveling from Amsterdam to Rome (~June 18th to ~July 10th). For those of you unfamiliar the Euro is second only to the world cup in world football and is being played in France (I hink Paris, Nice, Tolusse, Marseille, Lyon, and Burgundy). Based on this I am thinking of perhaps avoiding France on this trip, with the thought that prices may be higher, hotel and train reservations harder to get, and sites even more crowded.

I was hoping people might have thoughts to share on this. I love international football but I have a feeling I will not like the crowds and prices. I was last in Europe during Euro 2012 and it was amazing to watch Spain win the Euro (watched the game in a tent set up on the beach outside a bar in Tarifa) but the craziness of supporters from all over Europe converging on the tournament was about as far away as could be in Kiev.

Posted by
51 posts

Just putting this out there since you love international football... OR.... it could be a great time to visit with lots of locals in the city and perhaps your favorite team will be in the same city with you!

Posted by
16893 posts

If you want to include France on this trip, then the time to solve the mystery of the train and hotel availability is now. TGV reservations for summer have already been on sale for a while. But once you get one locked in, it's done. Same with finding a hotel that fits your budget.

I can't gauge the other crowding. Paris is popular at all times but has a lot of hotels. Marseille may not have as many good-value hotels to start with (per assessment from our guidebook), but nearby Aix-en-Provence can be better in that regard. Many smaller towns along the Riviera are well connected by train and bus, so you have a wide range of options, but it's peak season there.

Posted by
9597 posts

On the nights of the matches in each particular town, the hotel prices are many times their normal price, according to press reporting. So while it could be fun to be in France, you probably want to avoid the towns that are actually hosting a match on any given night!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the replies, the German scholar next door convince me to travel through the Rhine Valley instead.